Friday, March 1, 2013

My Uncool Kitchen Tool: Kitchen Scoop

20130131_KitchnQuinoaBrownies-116.jpgI have a handful of kitchen tools that I really, truly use: a KitchenAid mixer, an espresso machine, an immersion blender, and a food processor. But other than that, we have a smattering of old wooden spoons, mismatched silverware, an odd collection of mixing bowls and an old mortar and pestle. Oh, and my kitchen scoop.

This kitchen scoop isn't uncool in the sense that it's ugly. Far from it: I think it's one of the finer-looking models I've seen. My mom got it for me a few years ago for Christmas and every now and then it made its way into a blog photo, but that was about the end of it. Then we began storing all of our grains and legumes in big mason jars and the scoop became pretty darn handy. My measuring cups are just a touch too wide to squeeze down into the jar so the scoop became the next best thing. It's not the most useful of scoops when it comes right down to it: it's meant more to sit and be pretty than to function as a real kitchen workhorse.

It doesn't make much sense that I use it as often as I do: grains spill out the front when I try to gather them out of jars, lentils tumble to the floor, polenta springs forth from the sides. The scoop just isn't that useful and yet I reach for it almost daily. So in this case, it's not so much the equipment that's problematic or uncool, it's my use of it. The scoop would be better on display in our windowsill and instead I put it to work in a big way.

Help a girl out! Do any of you have a more utilitarian kitchen scoop you've come to love?

Related: Good Product: Cast Heavy-Duty Aluminum Scoops From Garrett Wade

(Image: Megan Gordon)

More posts in this series

Our Uncool Kitchen Tools

512e6a96dbd0cb501c0060df._w.50_h.50_s.centercrop_

My Uncool Kitchen Tool: My Kitchen Stool

512e734cd9127e3d22006a23._w.50_h.50_s.centercrop_

My Uncool Kitchen Tool: Cheap Aluminum Garlic Press


Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips 15-Piece Everyday Kitchen Tool Set ... Have all your essential kitchen tools in quick reach with OXO GOOD GRIPS 15 Piece Everyday Kitchen Tool Set. With our slim-lined, space efficient Stainless Steel ... www.kmart.com Bar Stools, Kitchen Barstools & Counter Stools - My Bar Stools.com My Bar Stools is the bar stool furniture superstore, offering metal & wood barstools, backless bar stools, and kitchen bar counter stools. Find traditional to ... Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips Small Cookie Scoop: Kitchen & Dining For easy scooping and consistently round cookies, try an OXO Good Grips Cookie Scoop. OXO Scoops have soft grips that absorb pressure while you squeeze to easily ... My Kitchen Addictions ...inspired by family traditions and new ... ...inspired by family traditions and new kitchen trends ... Have made it for years It was shared by a dear friend. Thank you Debbie Cook! ToolKing.com: Your Power Tools, Hardware & Home Improvement SuperStore Save up to 75% on ToolKing.com's huge selection of power tools, hardware, automotive, and home improvement supplies from thousands of popular brands!! Williams-Sonoma - Cookware, Cooking Utensils, Kitchen Decor ... Make Williams-Sonoma your source for gourmet foods and professional-quality cookware. Choose small kitchen appliances, cooking utensils and decor that match your ... Housewares & Furniture Outlet Shopping Crate and Barrel Ready, set, save! Crate & Barrel outlet is a chance to buy all of the great items you love at reduced prices. So do your outlet shopping right online for furniture,

No comments:

Post a Comment