Wednesday, November 28, 2012

What's the Best Way to Store My Late Mother's Recipe Collection? Good Questions

2012_11_28-MomsRecipesGQ.jpgQ: Almost two years ago, I lost my mother she was 54 and I was 25. Many of her personal items were also lost during this time and I've always been heartbroken over losing her handwritten recipes and books. She was a wonderful cook, and especially loved to cut out recipes from newspapers and magazines.

The other day I dreamt about her, which prompted me to go through the boxes of her belongings in my closet. Suddenly, I stumbled upon a large box with her handwriting on the outside: Important recipes. I opened it up to discover all of her handwritten recipes on cards, yellowed from age and splattered with food from past times in the kitchen. I don't know how I missed it or thought it was gone! She was also an avid newspaper reader, so I have a few articles that she cut out. The first one I found was titled, "Sure, you can cook just like mom."

Immediate tears, of course. She was speaking to me somehow.

Now, the question is: How should I organize all of her recipes, especially the handwritten ones? I'm concerned the writing will someday fade. Would laminating be the way to go? Any thoughts from your readers?

Sent by Nicole

Editor: Nicole, thank you for sharing your beautiful and moving story. Laminating would help preserve the cards, but I would also recommend scanning them, so you have digital files as well. Here is an idea for turning the scanned cards into a special memento:

A Great Way To Preserve Old Family Recipes

Readers, how would you preserve and organize these treasured recipe cards?

Next question?

Related: Family History: How To Document Recipes That Aren't Written Down

(Image: Old modeling photo of Nicole's mother via The Kitchn submission form)


Green Women's Lifestyle - Yahoo! Shine Meredith Melling Burke, Vogue What better way to show your gratitude this Thanksgiving Day than to be extra kind to M- Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com The latest video from CNN and its networks on breaking news stories. GREEN MM - Social Web Research Tool Stay up-to-date. Socialize with us! We strive to bring you the latest from the entire web. Gardening: the latest gardening news and best gardening advice ... Gardening news and advice from the Telegraph. Your source for gardening news, advice from our experts and help on how to grow plants and vegetables Best Cherry Cordial Recipe Confessions of a Chocolatier Tackling fondant can be tricky and a good work out! I used to make these delicious Cherry Cordials for Christmas and Valentine's Day but have skipped them over the ... NATURAL MOTHERS NETWORK - MOTHERSHIP MAGAZINE Thanksgiving Dessert Recipe- A Sophisticated Alternative to Pumpkin Pie. This sophisticated thanksgiving dessert recipe brings together two autumn favourites of mine ... Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com iPhone, iPad and Mac are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc. Oprah Winfrey's Official Website - Live Your Best Life - Oprah.com Oprah.com is the official website for everything in Oprah's world. Find advice on your health, beauty, cooking and recipes, money, decorating, relationships and more ... Walmart.com Walmart.com is a lot like your neighborhood Walmart store. We feature a great selection of high-quality merchandise, friendly service and, of course, Every Day Low ... The Voluptuous Table Although I often do my best to avoid it, I love bread. I grew up on my mother's home-made bread and when she went back to teaching full time, we eventually had store ...

No comments:

Post a Comment