Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Alina's Exotic Cooking Lair Kitchen Tour

2012-8-28-tour.jpg

Alina takes the best of what a country's cooking and design tradition has to offer and brings it into her home. All the materials are natural and all the colors are warm. It seems that, aside from the food, everything about this kitchen will last forever.

Alina-KTsmall.jpg

Alina-KTlg2.jpg
See Full Slideshow

The quality of the elements makes for a striking and envious cooking environment. Alina, a professional set designer, loves to curate. There is no question that she has brought these skills to her kitchen. Alina also loves to cook. Her travels have taken her around the world. At every destination she investigates that culture's traditions and rituals and the tools used therein. She finds the products used for generations items people continue to embrace because they are at once practical and beautiful. In fact, she's gotten so good at it, that she started her own online retail store to sell these finds.

Alina finds fun and inexpensive fixes that yield sophisticated results. She also salvages great old pieces and occasionally splurges on quality products. The sum total is a warm, intriguing, thought provoking, jaw dropping, show-stopping space, full of character, integrity, sustainability, and the consistent impetus to create great meals.

Alina's kitchen, more than most, speaks for itself!!

Alina-KTlg1.jpg
See Full Slideshow

10 Questions for Alina (and her Kitchen)

What inspires your kitchen and your cooking?
Far away places and forgotten relics. I like to enjoy stirring soups with a spoon that feels handmade. I use almost no plastic based materials in my kitchen; rather, I choose materials like wood, metal, cast iron, clay, ceramic, and glass. For example, I love cooking with my La Chamba pots and panshand-made in Columbia with black clayand I think they add flavor to the dishes I make.

What is your favorite kitchen tool or element?
My wood workers bench which serves as my kitchen island. I use this piece all the time. It's such a perfect solid surface. It has a well so that things don't slide off, and dowels for hanging towels and pot holders. I love all the possibilities that it has to grow with my needs and since its and old piece it has some great patina and marks. It also makes for a great console for entertaining.

What's the most memorable meal you've ever cooked in this kitchen?
I think one of my most memorable meals has been with my friend Stephanie. She's a professional chef so I learn and proudly follow her every move. I always feel like we inspire each other with experimentation. But all of the memorable meals in my kitchen have been small gatherings with friends. I love seeing them cook in my kitchen, drink wine, laugh, smile, talk, and share food.

Biggest challenge in your kitchen?
More storage for my growing collection of glasses. I have a fantasy about constructing a wall size storage with glass doors.

Biggest indulgence or splurge in the kitchen?
Well, the immediate thing that comes to mind is my dishwasher. I'm not sure what I did before that. It's great for dinner parties. Oh, also my juicer, I love it! Especially in the summer.

Is there anything you hope to add or improve in your kitchen?
I plan to re-fashion the underside of my wood-workers bench. I think adding some drawers for linens and additional shelving for trays would make this piece complete. I also really want a kitchen-aid mixer, I think this would be a nice addition.

How would you describe your cooking style?
Simple but spicy. I favor my savory palate. I travel a lot so I'm always bringing back spices from all over the world for myself and much loved cooking friends. I love rich spices and sauces over simple ingredients. I also like fresh herbs, and combining crisp cool with hot textures.

Best cooking advice or tip you ever received:
Fresh herbs and some butterthe most useful ingredients for a delicious quick dish.

What is your favorite cookbook?
My Food Lovers Companion. It's my go-to for questions about ingredients. I also love Nigella Lawson and any of her cookbooks.

What are you cooking this week?
This week I am imagining roasted saffron chicken to make crisp salads, a cold cucumber soup, and a fava bean spread over toasted raisin bread. I also plan to make a mini chocolate cake with a simple crme fraiche frosting.

See Full Slideshow

Resources:

Frigidaire
KitchenAid
Big Sur table: Crate and Barrel
Kitchen rack: Pottery Barn
Restaurant industrial shelving
Counters: IKEA
Vintage salvage elements
Cookware: La Chamba and All-Clad
Many of the beautiful foreign sourced pieces: Dar Gitane

Alina-KTlg5.jpg

Thank you so much for letting us peek into your kitchen, Alina!
Share your own kitchen renovation or improvement!
We're always looking for real kitchens from real cooks.
Show us your kitchen here!

(Images: Jill Slater)


Kahakai Kitchen Kahakai is a Hawaiian word for Beach. Living in beautiful Hawaii, I like to spend time at the beach and in the kitchen. This blog is about cooking, eating ... Lisa Robinson Vanity Fair From world affairs to entertainment, business to fashion, crime to society, Vanity Fair is a cultural catalyst that drives the popular dialogue globally. Thread NY NBC New York Get the latest New York fashion, fashion news, and the latest NY fashion trends. The inside line on New York fashion including sample sales, boutique openings ... Ewa in the Garden: 15 ideas of DIY pea trellis How to build trellises for peas - do you also have such question? I will be constructing pea trellis this week from materials having at hand. I searched ... Sambo Kojin Japanese Lutong Japanese/Hapon Teppanyaki Casual ... Sambo KojinLibis reviews, delivery, contact numbers & more. Find Sambo Kojin in OpenRice Restaurants in Metro Manila Guide located at Libis Restaurant where you can ... Yahoo! Merchant Solutions: E-Commerce, Shopping Cart & Store ... Create & manage an online store with an ecommerce shopping cart from Yahoo! Merchant Solutions. Ecommerce hosting features include store design, quick shopping cart ... Flowery Branch Yacht Club Located on the corner of Church and Main streets in historic downtown Flowery Branch, you feel a delightful mix of experiences as you approach the front ... cooking - Upload & Share PowerPoint presentations and documents Flag as inappropriate. Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate. If needed, use the feedback form to let us know more details. Wantickets United States - United States Wantickets Events United States Party Guide. Your source for local parties, events, tickets, and more in United States Join Canada's Favourite Food Community - Food Network Canada Food Network Canada - Recipes, Entertaining Tips, Menus, Cooking Videos and Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment