Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Weird Reason Why Your Tap Water May Taste Like Mold in the Summer

2012_08_30-Water.jpgMy tap water has been giving me trouble. It tastes musty and a bit moldy, with a lingering cloud of unpleasant aftertaste. I don't filter my water I've never seen the need. City water has always tasted fine to me. So why this taste now? Is it my faucet? My pipes? Is it all in my head? None of the above. There's a reason my water tastes musty, and yours may too. Do you know why?

The most likely reason for the taste in my water is algal bloom.

In the summer, when there is light from the sun and plenty of warmth, algae can bloom on the surface of lakes, reservoirs, and other water sources. While the bacteria is scrubbed from the water during the water treatment process, the moldy taste the algae imparts to the water can be detected at extremely microscopic levels. Some people are especially sensitive to mildew and musty tastes in food (I noticed this well before my husband did, for instance) and it can affect them more.

Here's what my city water website has to say about this problem:

Occasionally Columbus water has an earthy, musty or fishy taste and odor. These seasonal phenomena can be caused by the bi-annual turnover of our city reservoirs, or with the presence of varied algal blooms in the reservoirs or rivers. It is important to note this taste and odor poses no health concern but one of aesthetic quality. - Source

This taste should fade away as the weather gets colder and the algae dies off. But it's distinctly annoying now, and for the first time I'm considering buying a water filter. Until then, I'm drinking my water with lots of lime slices.

What does your water taste like right now? Do you notice seasonal changes in your tap water? Do you filter your water at all?

Related: Friendly Reminder: Refill Your Filtered Water Pitcher Before You Pour a Glass

(Image: Yellowj/Shutterstock)


Health Articles - Find Health Related Articles on ArticlesBase.com Find Health articles at ArticlesBase.com a free articles directory. Submit your articles for free distribution and find Health content for your website, Ezine or ... Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com Video captures man's shooting by policeMan killed by cops, shot multiple times Enlightened Health and Wellness - Far Infrared Saunas and Natural ... Health and beauty, Enlightened Health and Wellness, Far Infrared Sauna Information, Calgary, Alberta, Fibormialgia, chronic fatique sydrome, chronic pain suffering ... The Secrets of Water with Lemon Simple Homemade Written by contributor Nicole Bennett of Gidget Goes Home. A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned water with lemon as one of my basic habits to boost my immunity. Breaking News and Opinion on The Huffington Post Offers syndicated columnists, blogs and news stories with moderated comments. TextsFromLastNight (TFLN) on Twitter Instantly connect to what's most important to you. Follow your friends, experts, favorite celebrities, and breaking news. Green Women's Lifestyle - Yahoo! Shine Industrialized animal production has had a dramatic impact on society, human health and the environment. Modern animal husbandry is a major factor in water pollution ... Why Drinking Too Much Water Can Be Harmful To Your Health Why drinking too much water is dangerous to your health. Parents like Amy Chua are the reason why Asian-Americans like me ... Amy Chua is wrong! Tiger parenting has traumatized us for generations & shes messed up too. We MUST move on now because Brita Bottle Aqua: The Brita Water Filter Bottle Drinking Water Pretty good, but not quite there... I really like Brita products. I've been using various pitchers by Brita for at least 7 years now. When I heard about the water ...

No comments:

Post a Comment