Sunday, August 26, 2012

Late, Late Summer Weekend Meditation

2012_08_26-apples.jpgIt's the final days of August and I confess that I'm ready for the fall. I've become watchful, alert to subtle shifts and signals: the changing light, the shorter days, a touch of something in the air. This morning, in the courtyard out my back door, I notice that a few of the green apples on my neighbor's tree, the one's that are up high and facing south, have taken on a touch of rose. Around the corner, the persimmon tree sags under its load of hard fruit, grown to the right size but still firm and a deep, unripened shade of green. In the market, I keep a keen eye out for the first of the winter squash even as I'm filling up sacks of bargain-priced, summer-glut tomatoes.

I appreciate summer with its bright abundance and its child-like, unguarded generosity. I'm happy for the unlimited variety and enormous quantities of produce that almost leap into market baskets and out onto the kitchen counter at home. There is nothing restrained about summer, no stopping the wayward proportions of the garden zucchini, the endless rainbow of tomatoes (from zebra green to deep cherry-black), the sticky river of nectarines and peaches and plums.

I appreciate summer, I do, but I love the fall. I love the time just on the other side of all this abundance when the profusion has abated some and I can come up for air. I'm more than satiated of summer by then and I'm happy for a little less choice and an extra layer of clothes. I want to be snuggly, not sweaty, and I want apples and pears and hearty dishes covered in a pastry crust.

Until then, though, it's still summer. Late, late summer. And while there's a touch of finality in the air, the season is still strong and present. So I follow along with my sacks of tomatoes and melons (hardly a punishment!), snipping a few last roses, wandering past the persimmon tree in hopes of catching a pale streak of orange amongst the riot of green. I glance up at the higher branches of the apple tree and the lovely, rose tinted apples growing there, signaling both an end and a beginning, a circus trapeze act of in-between time when one thing is just about to drop and the other not quite in our grasp.

Related: Weekend Meditation: Autumn Kitchen, Welcoming Winter

(Image: Dana Velden)


Two weeks late on my period.....negative tests ... This is a discussion on MedHelp about Two weeks late on my period.....negative tests..... Community members of MedHelp provide help, support, guidance and ... Podcasting - CBC.ca CBC Radio podcasts. Discover programming that tickles your curiosity, feeds your brain and sparks your emotions! You'll find the best of our popular national Radio ... Midsummer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Midsummer is the period of time centered upon the summer solstice, and more specifically the European celebrations that accompany the actual solstice or take place on ... Appalachian Mountain Dirt Late Model Speedweek :: Super Late Model ... In an effort to make sure all our competitors are on the same playing field, the Appalachian Mountain Speedweek presented by Harbaugh Amusement Machine has issued the ... Watch Late Show with David Letterman on CBS.com. Full Episodes ... Watch on CBS.com. Full Episodes, Clips and Behind the Scenes footage. Dirt Racing Report Teams to remain on Goodyear tires through end of 2012 season Akron, Ohio August 14, 2012 The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company and the World Racing Group ... Weather and Climate Through the Eyes of Mark Vogan: UK-EUROPE Friday 1 June, 2012 Jubilee Weekend Is A Tail Of Two Halves The much anticipated Jubilee weekend has arrived and and for many, the question is hows the weather ... Summer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Summer is the warmest of the four temperate seasons, between spring and autumn. At the summer solstice, the days are longest and the nights are shortest, with day ... Wisconsin Racing News - Late Models, Stock Cars, Sprint Cars and ... RacingWisconsin.com is the one-stop website for all that is happening in Wisconsin motorsports Late Night Political Jokes - Late Night Jokes Updated Daily The latest political jokes from all the late-night comedians, including David Letterman, Jay Leno, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Bill Maher, Conan O'Brien, Craig ...

No comments:

Post a Comment