Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Too Much Beer? How to Save Your Beer After Opening Beer Sessions

2012-09-25-BeerSaver-2.jpgToo much beer is hardly a bad problem to have, but there are times when, yes, you open a bottle and realize you can't finish it. This often happens to me when I open large 750 mL bottles of specialty (and quite often very alcoholic) beers. Unless I open it with friends, it's just too much for one sitting. I used to worry that the leftover would go to waste, but now I just save it for later.

2012-09-25-BeerSaver-1.jpgI first realized that beer could be saved when I started buying growlers from a local brew pub. Concerned that I'd need to drink the entire growler right after buying it, I asked the bartender how long the beer would keep. She said it would gradually lose carbonation each time I opened the growler, but would keep perfectly well for several days in the fridge.

I remembered this the next time I found myself with a leftover bottle of beer, and tried sealing it with an old wine cork. The next day, the beer was slightly less bubbly, but still frothy, flavorful, and most certainly drinkable.

I've since come to rely on rubber stoppers and a vacuum pump the same I use for preserving a half-full bottle of wine. Once secured with the vacuum sealer, these stoppers keep an airtight seal and seem to work very well at holding CO2 in the bottle. (Careful, though: if the bottle is still more than three-quarters full, it can sometimes froth up when you pump the vacuum sealer.)

Sealed and refrigerated, I find that a bottle of beer will keep fairly well for about three days. After that point, the beer starts to taste too flat to be enjoyable to drink.

Wine Bottle Vacuum Sealer Pump with 2 Stoppers, $4.20 from Amazon.com

Related: Sriracha in My Beer? Yes, Please! The Cocky Rooster

(Image: Emma Christensen)


Beer Belly Be Gone- Lose the Belly, Not the Beer. How to get ... I love meals I can make once and eat all week long. Soup is one of those meals. However, not any old soup will do. I like soups that eat like a meal and stealing a ... The Shitbag Opera INTRODUCTION Mpls.; the 90s- crappy room. Desperate young couple reaches the breaking point. He doesnt hit her but e wants to. She cheats on him ... TextsFromLastNight (TFLN) on Twitter Instantly connect to what's most important to you. Follow your friends, experts, favorite celebrities, and breaking news. BadPoo - an assortment of words about beer A beer blog covering drinking news, beer festivals, real ale, pub crawls and thoughts on the beer scene. Best Lager beer in the World! - Beer - Chowhound I admit it ,I like Lagers. I don't care for creamy wheats or cranberry ales. I just want ice cold lager. Perhaps its years of playing tennis Bamf Beer Ive just returned from a week-long business trip to London. Since it wasnt a vacation trip, two things were true: first, I was on my own. Newgrounds.com Everything, By Everyone The problems of the future today and flash portal. Club a Seal, Telebubby Fun Land and Pico. Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com Watch cop yank combative 77-yr-old woman from SUVCop yanks combative woman from SUV Best Cheap Beer - Beer - Chowhound The economy is going south and the price of beer is skyrocketing. $7.49 a six pack is now the standard price in SoCal chain supermarkets of no-charac MTB trip in Austria A great compilation dedicated to those who "act before they think"... set to the song "Ballroom Blitz". 5721

No comments:

Post a Comment