Thursday, August 16, 2012

Recipe: Penne alla Vodka Recipes from The Kitchn

2012_08_16-PenneVodka-1.jpgI have been a carb lover since birth. My parents started calling me "starch baby" after discovering my knack for sneaking Wonder Bread from the pantry, and the nickname has continually proven true. I fell for Italian foodnamely pastaupon first bite and spent most of my formative years choosing between lasagna, chicken parmesan, or broccoli alfredo.

I have a very early memory of dining at my small hometown's fanciest Italian restaurant. I shunned the kid's menu and proudly announced to the server that I wanted the penne with vodka sauce. All eyes turned to me (I'm sure at that moment my parents were wondering if this was a sign of what was to come, regarding the vodka, that is.) I had no idea what it was, but there was cream in the sauce, and that was enough to sway me.

To my uninitiated palate, it was the best meal of my short lifea melange of flavors I had never before experienced. That restaurant, because of that dish, became my most requested special occasion spot, much to the dismay of my father's wallet I'm sure. It closed down by the time I reached middle school, and I have yearned for that recipe ever since.

My memory may have gotten the best of me, and the tastes and colors of that childhood pasta have blurred and morphed together with other food experiences. Whether or not the penne alla vodka here is similar I'll never know. But every time I take a bite of this delicious version I think to myself, "man, that little girl sure did have good taste."

2012_08_16-PenneVodka-2.jpg

Penne alla Vodka

Serves 4-6

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, finely chopped (optional)
1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3-4 garlic cloves, pressed
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes (I like chef's cut)
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup vodka
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 pound (16 ounces) penne pasta
Parmesan cheese, for serving
Chopped parsley, for serving

Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking. Add prosciutto and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 4-5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Reduce heat to medium. Add the onions and cook until softened and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and garlic, stirring to combine, and saut for 2 more minutes.

Stir the tomatoes, red pepper flakes, sugar, and salt into the onion mixure. Stir in the vodka and increase heat back to medium-high. Briskly simmer for 8 - 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the alcohol flavor has cooked off. Reduce heat to low and whisk in heavy cream.

While making the vodka sauce, bring a large stockpot of heavily salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente according to package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup cooking water before draining. Gently fold the cooked penne and reserved prosciutto into the vodka sauce and continue cooking on low heat for another couple of minutes. (I actually use a little less than one pound of pasta because I like mine very saucy, but it is easier to just cook the pound and add it to the sauce to taste.) Toss with a bit of pasta water if sauce is too thick.

Season with additional salt and red pepper flakes if desired, and serve with fresh Parmesan and chopped parsley.

2012_08_16-PenneVodka-3.jpg

Related: Recipe: How to Make Authentic Pasta Carbonara

(Images: Nealey Dozier)


Penne alla Vodka :: America's Test Kitchen Recipes Splashes of vodka and cream can turn run-of-the-mill tomato sauce into luxurious restaurant fareor a heavy, boozy mistake. Despite the limited number of ... Penne alla Vodka - Cook's Illustrated Why this recipe works: To achieve a sauce for our penne alla vodka recipe with the right balance ... In Americas Test Kitchen, our motto is, Recipes that Work, and ... Good Question: Who Invented Penne alla Vodka? The Kitchn thanks, Sarah (photo: accompanies a Penne alla Vodka recipe ... Got a tip, kitchen tour, or other story our ... New Recipes. Summer Recipe: Sweet Corn Soup Flatbread Recipe ... Penne alla Vodka Recipe at Epicurious.com Find the recipe for Penne alla Vodka and other vodka recipes at Epicurious.com ... and tips for getting kids to help in the kitchen. plus: delicious recipes for ... Penne Alla Vodka - Adventures in the Kitchen Celebrating Life ... A recipe and pictorial on how to make Penne Alla Vodka. Adventures in the Kitchen ... Recipes to your inbox! recipe Penne alla Vodka The Gonzo Gourmet Aggie's Kitchen; Alexandra's Kitchen; Boulder Locavore ... My Favorite Recipes of 2011 ... food blogs, 101 Cookbooks, rendered a recipe for Penne alla Vodka, one ... Penne alla Vodka Recipe : Ree Drummond : Recipes : Food Network Get this all-star, easy-to-follow Food Network Penne alla Vodka recipe from Ree Drummond. ... Trisha's Southern Kitchen; Tyler's Ultimate; Ultimate Recipe Showdown; Unwrapped Small Kitchen College Penne Alla Vodka Catch more of her recipes at her blog, www.carolinescucina.tumblr.com. **Recipe** Penne alla Vodka ... 2 Responses to Penne Alla Vodka Small Kitchen College ... penne la vodka + belgian brownies smitten kitchen A home cooking weblog from a tiny kitchen in New ... there are a ton of other good penne a la vodka recipes ... with Nigella Lawsons (a lot easier) penne alla vodka recipe ... Penne alla Vodka Recipe at Epicurious.com Find the recipe for Penne alla Vodka and other noodle recipes at Epicurious.com ... by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich. Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment