Thursday, December 13, 2012

Cold Weather Recipe: White Chicken Chili Recipes from The Kitchn

2012_12_12-WhiteChili-1-2.jpgMy kitchen has been churning out brownies, baked goods, and layer cakes in mass quantity over the past two weeks, and boy have I been hankering for a savory reprieve. (You know it's bad when one more finger-lick of chocolate, even in the name of hot fudge sauce perfection, just might end in a sugar-induced coma.) Thank goodness white chicken chili seems to be the perfect baking overdose cure.

2012_12_12-WhiteChili-2.jpgWhite chili was one of my first successful attempts when I began teaching myself how to cook. Now I try to make it at least a couple of times a year. In all the time since, that original recipe has taken on a mind of its own. I am particularly attached to the evolved version, but since chili is often nothing more than "a bit of this" and "a dash of that," I have never taken the opportunity to put this favorite into writing.

I made an especially delicious batch over Thanksgiving using leftover turkey, to quite the fanfare from my relatives. After only one go around, every last drop had vanished without a trace. I admit I was proud, if not a little shocked, at my family's edible accomplishment. (It was a really big pot of chili.) When my brother-in-law declared it to be the new annual tradition, I realized I had to get it down on paper.

For my family's sake, I finally took the time to measure out each ingredient, clock the cooking time, and taste (and taste) it towards culinary perfection. It makes plenty of leftovers for my house of just twothere are still a couple of full Tupperwares waiting in the fridge, right alongside the extra triple-chocolate trifle. For once in my life, I'll skip dessert. I'm saving room for the soup!

2012_12_12-WhiteChili-3.jpg

White Chicken Chili

Serves 6 - 8

This recipe is really good right off the stove, but it keeps getting better if you are willing to wait. Use a heavy hand when you seasonnow is not the time to cut back on salt, be sure to grind in plenty of black pepper.

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 sweet onion, diced small
1 - 2 stalks celery, diced small
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced small
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 (4 ounce) can fire-roasted green chiles
3 - 4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne, plus more to taste
6 cups chicken stock
2 (15.8 ounce) cans white beans, such as Great Northern or Cannellini
2 cups fresh or frozen yellow corn (thawed if frozen)
4 cups cooked, shredded chicken (or turkey)
1 1/2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole milk (or heavy cream)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Sour cream and grated cheddar, for serving

Heat olive oil in a large heavy stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, bell pepper, and jalapeno and cook until very soft, about 8 - 10 minutes. Add the green chiles, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne; saut for an additional minute or two.

Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the white beans, corn, chicken, Tabasco, and a generous amount of salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about an hour.

Melt the butter in a heavy sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook the roux for 1-2 minutes. Pour in the milk and continue whisking until a thick paste forms, about 2-3 more minutes. Stir the paste into the chili until it is completely incorporated and there are no lumps.

Continue cooking the chili over low heat, stirring occasionally, for another 45 minutes to an hour. Season to taste, using a generous hand, with additional salt, black pepper, and cayenne. (Once it's done, I like to turn it off for a few hours, then heat it again before serving. The flavor and texture just keeps getting better with time.)

Serve chili with sour cream, freshly grated cheddar, and additional hot sauce on the side.



2012_12_12-WhiteChili-4.jpg

Related: Recipe: Chicken and Dumplings

(Images: Nealey Dozier)


White Chicken Chili - How To: Simplify Tips, Tricks and Recipes to Simplify Life in the Kitchen Gonna Want Seconds: White Chicken Chili I love blog surfing. I'm sure you know what I mean. It's become one of my very most favorite things to do. I must admit Hubby is a wee bit worried about my ... White Chili The Pioneer Woman Cooks Ree Drummond I love white chili. And just like regular chili, there are as many incarnations as there are grains of sand in all the beache... How To Make Chili: White Chicken Chili, Texas Chili, Red Chili and ... How To Make Chili: White Chicken Chili, Texas Chili, Red Chili and Many More Award Winning Chili Recipes You Can Cook With Ease: Guy Morgan: Amazon.com: Kindle Store The Top 10 Winter Meals, with Recipes. The Best of Cold Weather ... The Top 10 Winter Meals, with Recipes. The Best of Cold Weather Cooking! Chili, Lasagna, Roast Beef, Creme Brule... White Chicken Chili Never Enough Thyme - Recipes and food ... A rich, creamy white chili packed with tender pieces of chicken and white beans. Recipe for Amy's Amazing White Chicken Chili - Kalyn's Kitchen (Tomorrow's the last day of the Month of Daily Phase One recipes, and this is also count-down-to-the-Superbowl week, so I decided my sister-in-law Amy's Amazing White ... White Chicken Chili Soup Recipe My Blessed Life Quick & easy white chicken chili soup recipe! ... W e are a soup loving family. When the weather begins cooling down, I always break out my soup recipes. Chicken & White Bean Chili Soup Recipe - fANNEtastic food I have a delicious new recipe for you all today! This is officially my new favorite soup. So, so delicious. And so easy to make. When my grad school girlfriends and I ... Easy White Chicken Chili Recipe Only Four Ingredients Kelly ... No, youre not going crazy, I did post another white chicken chili recipe it was last winter when it was actually chili weather. But an easy recipe is good ...

No comments:

Post a Comment