Thursday, December 13, 2012

My Baking Sheet Was Cleaned With Oven Cleaner. Can I Still Use It? Good Questions

2012_12_13-BakingSheetGQ.jpgQ: My roommate recently used my aluminum baking sheet and instead of cleaning it with soap, he let oven cleaner sit on it for about an hour to break down the grease. Now the finish on my pan is dull and splotchy and I'm not sure if it's safe to use anymore. Did he ruin my baking sheet?

Sent by Lauren

Editor: Lauren, oven cleaner usually includes some heavy-duty chemicals, so I would play it safe and just replace the baking sheet. You might want to introduce your roommate to Bar Keepers Friend for handling tough stains next time it really works!

Readers, what do you think? Is the baking sheet still safe to use? And what do you use to remove baked-on grease from baking sheets?

Next question?

Related: In Praise of Battered Baking Sheets

(Image: Emma Christensen)


Cleaning Questions including "Can you install a toilet on a four ... Cleaning Questions including "Can you install a toilet on a four-inch cast in a basement floor" and "What the meaning the valet runner" My Kitchen "Miracle" Cleaner! - One Good Thing by Jillee I fear I am becoming like the Dad in the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding. You know the guy who goes around spraying everything and everyone with Windex claiming its ... Can this cookie sheet be saved? - cleaning stickygunk cookingspray ... My mom (I love her) tonight cooked, in my kitchen, a spaghetti squash. She cooked it on my (formerly) shiny and new cookie sheet, and she cooked it by spraying the ... Baking Parchment Paper - Half-Sheet - Home King Arthur Flour what you get. Silicone-coated reusable vegetable parchment instantly makes any baking pan non-stick. Heavy duty, approx. 100-count; approx. 140-sq. ft. Natural Oven Cleaning With Baking Soda For people who prefer to clean their oven using baking soda, or other natural means. Cleaning Cookie Sheets and Bakeware - ThriftyFun Great Ideas and ... I have two young boys and a very busy life, I found keeping nonstick foil on my cookie sheets and storing them in the oven to be both a money and time saver. Home Remedies For Cleaning A Dirty Oven Lifescript.com Are you looking for a safe home remedy for cleaning a dirty oven? Are you leery of using toxic oven cleaners, which are among the most dangerous cleaning products ... Why You Should (Almost) Never Use Your Oven's Self-Cleaning ... This past week marked a special moment in my life. After living with an extra-small oven for years, pushing it hard using it to test an entire book about ... How to Remove Melted Aluminum Foil from the Oven Cleaning Guides Judy asked: How do I clean up melted, cheap aluminum paper? I have a brand new stove, and like an idiot, I placed a sheet of aluminum paper on the bottom oven pan ... More Adventures in Oven Cleaning The Kitchn When we tell people how dirty our oven is after roasting a chicken, they are incredulous. No one believes that, after roasting a Zuni-style chicken (meaning that ...

No comments:

Post a Comment