Monday, December 10, 2012

Cookie Recipe: Toffee-Chocolate Chip Shortbread Recipes from The Kitchn

2012_12_10-ToffeeChipShortbread-5Ed.jpgFrankly, I don't really understand the December cookie craze. If you ask me what my favorite Christmas cookie is, I'll tell you chocolate chip. Only chocolate chip. At least, that would have been my firm answer right up until last week when I discovered Regan Daley's butter-toffee crunch shortbread and had a change of heart. It was love at first bite, and it took everything in me not to hide in the pantry and devour the whole pan.

I didn't grow up churning out cutesy little gingerbread men at my mother's side, and I'm pretty sure we only gave Santa whiskey. (No offense to my mother, holiday baking just wasn't her thing.) So while I love giving food gifts around holiday time, it is most often yummy snacks purchased from my favorite artisanal brands. Because while nothing says 'I love you' like homemade, sometimes you just can't compete with perfection. (Little John's Famous Toffee comes to mind.)

But this Daley's shortbread packs a divine flavor punch, especially for a branch of the cookie family that up until now I found fairly unimpressive. (It makes sense this recipe would be solid. Daley's book In the Sweet Kitchen is a cult classic in the pastry world and one I refer to again and again.) But what I think I love best about this shortbreadbesides the butter, of courseis its ease. There's no tedious rolling and cutting, sparkling and spraying. Or basically, none of the things about Christmas cookies I never learned how to do. You just press and bake until done. (Well, something along those lines.)

I will definitely be whipping up this shortbread recipe for many years to come, if for no other reason than I want to be the lucky recipient. So am I a holiday baking convert yet? Let's just say if you asked me what's my favorite Christmas cookie I'd say, "Well, that's tough. I have two."

2012_12_10-ToffeeChipShortbread-4.jpg

Toffee-Chocolate Chip Shortbread

Recipe adapted from In the Sweet Kitchen by Regan Daley

Makes approximately 30 rectangles

Notes: Since Regan Daley's original recipe is so close to perfect, I have left the ingredients as they were in the original recipe (except for adding chocolate chips!), and then updated the instructions with some of my own tweaks, observations, and suggestions. Use the highest quality butter available to you; it really does makes a difference in the flavor. Rice flour gives the shortbread a tender, crumbly texture, but cornstarch can be substituted if necessary.

2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup rice flour
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
6 tablespoons super-fine sugar (see note)
6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips or butterscotch chips
3/4 cup toffee bits, such as Heath or Skor

Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13-inch metal baking pan. (If using a glass baking dish, lower the oven temperature by 25 degrees.) Line the pan with parchment paper, leaving a 1-inch overhang on each side to allow for easy removal.

Sift the all-purpose flour, rice flour, and salt together and set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or with an electric hand mixer), beat butter on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add both sugars and cream them with the butter until the mixture is very light and fluffy (almost like whipped cream), approximately 2-3 more minutes.

Using a wooden spoon, fold the flour mixture into the butter mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time, until completely incorporated. Add the chocolate chips and toffee bits and stir until they are evenly distributed.

Transfer the dough to the prepared pan, pressing firmly to distribute it evenly. (Work quickly so the warmth of your hands doesn't melt the butter.) Use the back of a spoon to smooth the surface. Prick the dough all over with a fork.

Bake the shortbread for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and prick again to release any trapped air. Bake for an additional 10 to 20 minutes according to texture preference less time will yield a more tender, crumbly cookie; longer and it will be more firm.

Allow the pan to cool on a wire rack for 7 to 8 minutes. Using a sharp knife, slice the shortbread lengthwise into three even sections, wiping the knife clean after each cut. Rotate the pan 180 degrees and continue cutting the shortbread crosswise into 3/4 to 1-inch wide rectangles. (I sliced these pieces in half again, yielding about 60 cookies.) Allow the cookies to cool completely in the pan.

Carefully remove the shortbread to a cutting board. (I use a large turner/spatula, along with the parchment paper, for additional support.) Re-slice the pieces to separate. Store shortbread in an airtight container in a dark place.

Notes:

Regular granulated sugar can be processed in a food processor or high powered blender until a superfine texture is reached.

2012_12_10-ToffeeChipShortbread-3.jpg

Related: Cookie Recipe: Peanut Butter and Espresso Truffle Blossoms

(Images: Nealey Dozier)


The Cookie Board by Rock Recipes - Pinterest / Home The Cookie Board by Rock Recipes 85 cookie recipes and counting! Drop cookies, sandwich cookies, cookie bars, squares ... Cookie Madness Cookie Madness is a baking blog focusing primarily on cookie recipes, but with cake recipes, pies, and other interesting desserts. Milan Cookies Recipe : Gale Gand : Recipes : Food Network My cookies came out chewy instead of crisp like the Pepperidgefarm brand and not sure if that is the way they are supposed to be according to this recipe or if I ... Toffee-Chocolate Chip Shortbread Recipe MyRecipes.com Toffee and chocolate give these shortbread cookies a sweet boost. Toffee Crunch Cookies Recipe : : Recipes : Food Network Good cookies - something different from your standard chocolate chip. I experimented a bit - with and without almonds, chocolate chips. Preferred without either ... to the dogs - espresso chocolate chip shortbread cookie recipe ... Recipe: espresso chocolate chip shortbread What new views through the lens? I went leaf hunting today and found... tall trees leftover snow on Saltine Toffee Cookies Recipe - Allrecipes.com This is an easy to make but wonderfully delicious treat. We pack them in tins and give as gifts during the holidays. Use your favorite nuts to top the cookies. Recipe Center: Recipes for Professional Chefs & Home Cooks ... Chef2Chef's recipe center features thousands of delicious recipes for professional chefs and home cooks. Browse recipes by ingredient, cuisine, course, and more. espresso-chocolate shortbread cookies - smitten kitchen In my mind, there are few higher callings in the baking world than cookies, and simply no higher cookie callings than shortbread, so I cannot think of a better place ... Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Fingers Recipe MyRecipes.com These shortbread cookies have a double dose of chocolate and are the perfect pickup party bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment