Thursday, December 6, 2012

Does "Mint" Mean Peppermint or Spearmint? Good Questions

2012_12_06-MintGQ.jpgQ: When a recipe calls for "mint," should I use spearmint or peppermint? Is the mint extract at the store spearmint- or peppermint-flavored? I'm asking because I really don't like the flavor of spearmint, but could eat peppermint all day long; however, to me, peppermint seems like an odd flavor for savory dishes. What do your readers think?

Any and all enlightenment appreciated!

Sent by Sharon

Editor: Sharon, I think it's a personal preference. I often use peppermint in savory summer dishes like grain or bean salads. For rich, savory sauces, the more intense flavor of spearmint might be a better match. Here's a little more on the difference between spearmint and peppermint:

From the Herb Garden: Mint

Readers, when a recipe calls for mint, do you use spearmint or peppermint? Why?

Next question?

Related: Recipe: Chickpea, Barley and Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Mint and Feta

(Image: joloei/Shutterstock)


Mint Tea Warning - Healthy Fellow - Diet, Exercise and Natural ... It seems as if so much of the information out there about natural medicine either glorifies or vilifies this long held tradition. The truth about holistic health care ... How many kinds or variations are there of Mint? I know about ... Askville Question: How many kinds or variations are there of Mint? I know about Peppermint, Spearmint, and Mint. What is the : Cooking Mint Questions and Answers cooking with herbs and spices Mint Questions and Answers. Recipes and information about cooking with herbs and spices. spearmint They're also good in lemonade, and you can make a syrup from them to use for making mint juleps. My husband's family is from Kentucky and they used to always have ... Coping with Mint allergy/sensitivity - Allergy - MedHelp Am I the only one who reacts badly to anything mint? Cause I'm sure feeling lonely... It wouldn't be so bad, except... Mint is EVERYWHERE! I have to order expensive ... Whats the difference between Mint and Peppermint? Askville Question: Whats the difference between Mint and Peppermint? : Plants mint - Answers - The Most Trusted Place for Answering Life's Questions Mentha spp., Labiaceae. An aromatic plant originally from the Mediterranean region. Peppermint has oval, lanceolate leaves. It has a strong, penetrating smell. WHFoods: Peppermint Peppermint. While peppermint leaves are available throughout the year, they are especially good in warm weather when they can give a burst of cool flavor to a summery ... Sage and Chocolate Do you remember waaay back when I shared my freebie weekly organizer? Yeah, it doesnt work for me anymore. It was actually a fairly good system for a little ... Peppermint leaf - cut - Bulk Herb Store Common Names: Peppermint, balm mint, brandy mint Latin Name: Mentha piperita Origin: USA Excerpts from The How to Herb Book Peppermint is a delicious...

No comments:

Post a Comment