Friday, February 22, 2013

On Letting Go of Kitchen Tools You've Had Nearly Forever

2013_02_22-KitchenSpoons01.jpgWhen my husband and I bought our first home, I couldn't wait to stock the kitchen with things I loved, vowing to gradually get rid of low quality tools and gadgets carelessly obtained in college that we continued to use. One of my first purchases was a beautiful, heavy set of brushed stainless steel measuring spoons.

2013_02_22-KitchenSpoons.jpgThey were the perfect weight; I loved that they didn't bend to the touch, like the ones from the dollar store that I discarded. The deep, round bowls cradled their contents, somehow making me feel like a better cook. Dried marjoram looked fresher, honey a deeper amber. A heaping spoonful of just about anything looked like it had been come to life from the pages of a glossy food magazine.

But those spoons were really annoying, because they wouldn't fit into spice jars. I was forced to sprinkle dried herbs into the bowl, often spilling in the process. After fifteen years of this relatively minor annoyance, I spotted a set of oblong measuring spoons in my favorite local kitchen shop. Dear reader, I bought them. And I'm not ashamed to say they have changed my life, though I have asked myself why I didn't take the plunge (into the spice jar) sooner.

Have you made small changes in the kitchen that made cooking much easier? Are there things you'd like to replace? By the way, I kept the old spoons, because they're still beautiful and totally functional, as long as you don't need a tablespoon of ground coriander.

Related: When It's OK To Get Rid of Kitchen Tools

(Images: Anne Postic)


No comments:

Post a Comment