Monday, February 25, 2013

My Uncool Kitchen Tool: Paper Towels

2013_02_25-papertowels.jpgI can't believe I'm going to admit this on the Internet and destroy my green cred, but here goes ... I use paper towels. Not a lot of them, and not every day, but enough to make me feel a bit uncool.

I grew up in an environmentalist, paper towel-less household, and for a long time I resisted having paper towels in my own home. However, when my partner and I moved into together, he was a paper towel devotee and I gradually started using them, too. Over time we've met somewhere in the middle, mostly using cloth towels and Skoy cloths, but always keeping a roll of paper towels convenient.

And they are convenient especially, I think, for those of us without washing machines. Although my official and primary reason for keeping paper towels is to clean up cat barf (ahh, life with pets!), I also reach for them to blot oil from fried foods and greasy pans, to press tofu/wrap herbs/wipe canning jars if I'm low on clean linens, and as napkins if we're eating food that I'm afraid will stain our reusable ones.

I feel a little better because I compost paper towels, but in the course of writing this, I've decided to reexamine my use. Perhaps there are times when a quick hand washing would be sufficient for reusable towels, or maybe I need to buy more so I don't run out between trips to the laundromat. Will I completely stop using paper towels? I'm not sure.

What about you? Do you think being paper towel free is overrated or are you, like my mother, shaking your head disapprovingly? If you've reduced or stopped using paper towels, what are your tips for others?

Related: Why Not? How To Go Paper Towel-Less in the Kitchen

(Image: Igor Normann/Shutterstock)


Faucets, Kitchen Faucets, Bathroom Faucets, Sinks and Plumbing ... Shop online for thousands of faucets, sinks, bathroom, kitchen and shower fixtures. FREE SHIPPING on most items. Same day shipping on in stock items. Bounty Paper Towels and Napkins Bounty paper towels and napkins clean up the smallest spills and the biggest messes. Start cleaning with absorbent Bounty paper towels! Organize.com Complete Home Organization and Storage Organize.com offers thousands of home storage and organization products to keep your home clean, neat and organized. We have a large selection of home dcor and ... Amazon.com: Kamenstein 4536 Perfect Tear Paper Towel Holder ... Tear off a string of paper towels for an emergency mop-up without unraveling the entire roll on the floor with the Perfect Tear paper towel holder. Its upright towel ... Faucets, Sinks & Showers for Bathroom, Kitchen & more - Moen Moen offers a variety of sinks, bathroom and kitchen faucets and bathroom showering. Moen kitchen and bathroom fixtures combine style and can perfectly match your ... Amazon.com: iTouchless Towel-Matic Automatic Sensor Paper Towel ... The World's first and only automatic universal paper towel dispenser works on all perforated paper towel brands, standard full size and new half sheets. Sensor ... Staples Staples is the world's largest office products company and a trusted source for office solutions. Shipping and Returns, Rebate Center, Price Match Guarantee, Service ... Shoplet - Office Supplies Discount Office Supplies and Office ... Discount office supplies, over 400,000 discount office supplies, office furniture, and business supplies. Shoplet.com offers everyday low prices. Get Free Shipping On ...

No comments:

Post a Comment