Wednesday, February 27, 2013

My Uncool Kitchen Tool: My Kitchen Stool

My Uncool Kitchen Tool: My Kitchen Stool

I am short. Nevermade it to 54" thus my dreams of becoming a long-legged, ballet dancer atJulliard turned into an application for culinary school. Nevertheless, there is still lots ofdancing and constant choreography my kitchen. I can create a sauce with poiseand handle a knife with equal aplomb but there is nothing graceful about thekitchen tool I use almost as often as my knife mykitchen stool.

My Uncool Kitchen Tool: My Kitchen Stool

Is a stool a tool? Well when you use it as often as I do to get the job done it most definitely is. Our kitchen has tall top cabinets that reach the ceiling. As a requisite for the job and an obsession with kitchen goodies from glassware to cake dishes, I have managed to fill them to the top (not to mention all the canning equipment, ice cream machine and food processor we keep in the cabinets above the fridge). The items we use most often are easily accessible but we regularly cook and entertain, so we use everything.

My habit was to jump up on countertops and walk them like a balance beam to get what I needed. But I realized right quick this was a very, very bad example to set for my little boys, not to mention I was banging up my knees in the process.

On a typical Saturday yard sale outing, I came across three, beaten up wooden stools. For $2 each (they wanted $3, but I negotiatedyou know thats half the fun of junking) I was quickly on my way to higher ground. I use these kitchen stools numerous times a day. With each and every climb I feel completely uncool. For the rest of you vertically challenged cooks I know you can relate.

Can I make this must-have, uncool kitchen tool cool? Maybe some paint? Im thinking something bright. Right now the kitchen really needs a splash of color, so maybe someone cool out there can tell me what color would make this kitchen tool cool?

Related:Take a Seat: Stools and Chairs in the Kitchen

Maureen C. Petroskywrites what she knows, food, booze and parties. Author of The Wine Club, she appears regularly on The TODAY show to share her vices, and advice with the world. For more info check outwww.maureenpetrosky.comor follow her on twitter @maureenpetrosky.

(Images: Maureen Petrosky)

More posts in this series

Our Uncool Kitchen Tools

512c1e3ed9127e3d0500632f._w.50_h.50_s.centercrop_

My Uncool Kitchen Tool: Dental Floss The Cheesemonger

You are at the last post.

Kitchen Tools and Gadgets - EKCO Cookware EKCO kitchen tools and gadgets Cookware grew at a tremendous rate over the years and historically EKCO was the only notable kitchenware brand, almost single ... Amazon.com: Winsome Saddle Seat 24-Inch Counter Stool, Walnut ... One contemporary Saddle Seat 24" wood counter height stool in Walnut finish. Solid wood construction; designed in the US, produced in Thailand of natural hardwood ... Bar stools are 29"-32" and fit bars and raised kitchen counters ... Bar and Counter Stools Catalog Barstool Measuring Information. Bar Stools, Kitchen Barstools & Counter Stools - My Bar Stools.com My Bar Stools is the bar stool furniture superstore, offering metal & wood barstools, backless bar stools, and kitchen bar counter stools. Find traditional to ... Looking For Kitchens Cabinets On Clearance? 75% Off The Best ... Don't buy kitchen cabinets or go through kitchen remodeling before you've checked our beautiful catalog of high quality kitchens on clearance - Up to 75% off retail ... Kitchen Counter Bar Stools Shop for kitchen counter bar stools at My Bar Stools. Cooking Tools & Equipment in a Mexican Kitchen - My Mexican Recipes Mexican cooking doesn't requie a lot of special equipment, you'll generally have a lot of what is needed in your kitchen already - such as electric blenders, mixer ... CHEFS: The Best Kitchen Starts Here Shop CHEFS for the best cookware, cutlery, kitchen electrics and tools for the cooking enthusiast and home chef since 1979.

No comments:

Post a Comment