Thursday, February 28, 2013

My Uncool Kitchen Tool: Moms Mixer

My Uncool Kitchen Tool: Moms Mixer

When I moved from a college dorm into an apartment, my mother helped me stock my kitchen, allowing me to use precious Greenbax Stamps to purchase a sleek white hand mixer. When she saw it, she asked to trade, offering me her Iona avocado green mixer, a wedding gift from my fathers college friend English McCutchen. The mixer was only 20 years old then, and in fine condition.

My Uncool Kitchen Tool: Moms Mixer

My parents were married on June 5th, 1971. It was a beautiful day and the marriage was a good one. They also got some pretty sweet gifts, many of which are still in evidence today, finally cool again, in shades of avocado green, harvest gold, and burnt orange -- including that mixer.

My siblings and I threw a party for our parents on their 40th anniversary. One of their bridesmaids still had her dress from the wedding, a lovely avocado green empire waist gown with a Mandarin collar, which we displayed on a dress form, next to their wedding album and a replica of the bridesmaids bouquets. Almost everyone in the wedding party made it to our celebration and the day was filled with shared laughter and memories. The party was a surprise, though my mother had been given a little notice. She was tired from her cancer treatment and we knew she needed to reserve energy for the big day. A few days before, she sent me to the attic to find her veil, which she wore to the party, with white jeans and a linen tunic.

My mother died just days later, leaving behind years of happiness. The mixer, now more than 40 years old, still runs like a dream. And when it doesnt? Ill get it fixed, because its a piece of my mom and I wont let go.

(Images: Anne Postic)

More posts in this series

Our Uncool Kitchen Tools

512e734cd9127e3d22006a23._w.50_h.50_s.centercrop_

My Uncool Kitchen Tool: Cheap Aluminum Garlic Press

You are at the last post.

Amazon.com: KitchenAid KSM150PSGR Artisan Series 5-Quart Mixer ... KitchenAid's Artisan stand mixer is a substantial piece of equipment: 325 watts of mixing power make child's play of creaming butter, kneading dough, and whipping ... KitchenAid: Welcome to KitchenAid.com For a richer experience, download Adobe Flash Player. We've created this site to bring you the world of KitchenAid in the most exciting ways possible bringing you as ... Giveaway: KitchenAid UltraPower Plus Stand Mixer The Stir Congratulations to our winner wdenise! Around the holidays is when we all have the chance to channel our inner Martha Stewart. Yup, break out the flower, sugar, and ... Door To My Kitchen A Food Blogger turned Dream Chaser 2012 in Review: Posted by: Chi Anh December 31, 2012 : It is New Years Eve, and Im lying in bed trying to stay warm in my blanket. This is not exactly what I ... Amazon.com: KitchenAid KSM150PSWH Artisan Series 5-Quart Mixer ... KitchenAid's Artisan stand mixer is a substantial piece of equipment: 325 watts of mixing power make child's play of creaming butter, kneading dough, and whipping ...

No comments:

Post a Comment