Monday, January 28, 2013

An Apple-Lover's Apple: The Lady Alice Ingredient Spotlight

An Apple-Lover's Apple: The Lady Alice

I have been looking forward to this apple a new variety on the marketever since I tried an early-season sample on my apple harvest tourlast fall. I loved its crisp texture and delicate floral flavor back then, and the growers promised me that these apples would be even better after some time mellowing out in cold storage. Lady Alice is now in stores, and I can happily say that they were right.

An Apple-Lovers Apple: The Lady Alice

First, let's just take a moment to appreciate what a fine looking apple this is. It's perfectly spherical and plump with dark pink skin and yellow freckles. Inside, the flesh is creamy white and very dense. I love that the skin is snappy without any of the chewiness that you get in some varieties.

That floral flavors seems even more pronounced now than it did three months ago, and I'll swear up and down that a hint of almond sneaks in there. The apple also has a refreshing smack of tartness, which works well to bolster the sweet.

Rainier Fruit Company, who grows and distributes this apple, classifies it as an all-purpose apple. It can be eaten on its own, but it also holds up well to baking. It doesn't brown as quickly as other fruits, so it's a good choice for fruit salads or other raw preparations.

I've been eating Lady Alice apples with my morning yogurt and then again in my lunch salads. Rest assured, I'll be munching on these apples until they're gone.

Keep your eye out for Lady Alice apples in the next couple of weeks. Rainier Fruit is distributing it to grocery stores nationally and it should be available through the end of March.

Anyone else had a chance to try this apple yet?

Related: Steel-Cut Oates with Maple-Roasted Apples and Cheddar

(Images: Emma Christensen)


The Cheese Lady NUTRITIONAL FEATURES. Parmigiano-Reggiano (also known as Parmesan cheese) is a hard granular cheese with a long and natural maturation. Its a highly READ MORE... Previous Question Index: Topics Starting with A previous expert question answer list, Topics Starting with A apple mosaic tart with salted caramel smitten kitchen My husband likes to joke that every other comment on this site in the month of October is, Help! I went apple picking and I brought home 20 pounds of apples and I ... Hedgeapple.com - Add your stories or experiences about Hedgeapples ... Hedgeapple.com - Guestbook. Thanks to all who have contributed stories and knowledge about Hedgeapples and the Osage Orange tree to this Guestbook. Perilla - West Village - New York, NY (212) 929-6868 "After scouring yelp for what seemed like weeks I finally decided on Perilla for me and my boo's 3 year anniversary. We wanted a intimate venue with ... drugstore.com Online Pharmacy - Prescription Drugs, Health and ... Shop for prescription drugs, health & beauty, green & natural, pet products, food & gourmet, toys & games and more at drugstore.com. Apple - Start Apple hot news, launches, apple events, movie trailers and iTunes this week. How to Pick Real Olive Oil Mark's Daily Apple With the recent flurry of news showing that extra virgin olive oil is widely adulterated, how can we know what's real and what isn't? Find out inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment