Thursday, January 31, 2013

Recipe: Superpower Morning Smoothie Recipes from The Kitchn

2013_1_31-green-smoothie-1.jpgNow and then, a girl needs a little magic to get through and fly above it all. I have a couple of pretty gigantic projects going on right now, and while moving a mile a minute isn't my preferred way to live, it's been a reality. At times, I move so fast, I forget to eat and I get clumsy and frantic. That'll knock the wind right out of a lady's magic fairy wings. To make sure I stay on top of it all, I need a nourishing and energizing breakfast.

For years, the smoothie routine was yogurt, orange juice, and frozen fruit. But recently, I realized my morning meal wasn't delivering what I needed to make it through these whiz-bang days. I like the blended breakfast, but I needed to step it up a notch. I needed to call in the superpowers.

So I did a smoothie revamp; I added greens for vitamins, almond butter for protein, coconut water for hydration, flax oil and cinnamon for purported health benefits, and a frozen banana to make it feel decadent. I may still be moving a mile a minute, but the days when I have my Superpower Morning Smoothie, I feel balanced and graceful while I'm at it.

May your days be productive and peaceful, and may you bring great energy and magic to whatever your work may be.

Superpower Morning Smoothie

Serves 1

1 large handful roughly chopped kale, spinach, collards, or a combination
1 frozen peeled banana, cut into several pieces
1 cup pure unsweetened coconut water
2 tablespoons almond butter
1 tablespoon flax oil
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until completely uniform in color and all the bits of green are pulverized. Serve immediately.

Related: Add a Pinch of Spice to Warm Up Winter Smoothies

(image: Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan)


A Power Smoothie Recipe for the Breakfast of Champions Juice Recipes A host of great-for-you foods come together in this power smoothie recipe that's both delicious and a nutritious jump start to your day! Recipe Loving - Making Love in the Kitchen Making Love in the ... The very best of health inspired recipes, lifestyle tips and best cooking classes in Toronto. Green Morning Smoothies - Recipes, Party Food, Cooking Guides ... I've been known to throw everything into the blender: cabbage, beans, even raw oats! Green smoothies are one of my favorite smoothie blends and it also happens to be ... 20 Summer Smoothie Recipes Family Kitchen Try one of these vegan summer smoothies - healthy, delicious, super cool fun. Berry Banana Smoothie Recipe Simply Recipes Berry banana smoothie recipes plus many other wonderful smoothie recipe ideas from readers. Quick Recipes, Easy Meal Ideas - Recipe.com With more than 20,000 recipes from brands you trust, we've got plenty of ideas for dinner tonight! Each recipe is tied to coupons and specials at supermarkets near ... Buff Smoothie Recipe : Alton Brown : Recipes : Food Network This smoothie is fantastic. I substitute almond milk and add 1 T of sprouted chia powder (you can't even taste it for added omega 3-s, protein and fiber. Also, being ... Kale and Banana Smoothie - Allrecipes - Recipes and cooking ... Nutrient-rich kale is hidden in this delicious banana smoothie. . . perfect for those of us who have a hard time getting our daily dose of veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment