Tuesday, January 29, 2013

On Being Ok With Boring

011712-boring.jpg Sometimes life is a whirlwind and you just need to keep your head down to make it through. In recent years I'd pined for whatever latest recipe hit my screen, and as a result I overbought, overate and more importantly, burned out.

There was this weird pressure that I was putting on myself and my family by eating what the internet told me was going to be awesome. I sensed this need to make even regular foods 10x better or bigger. But a fridge full of leftovers that encouraged overeating, higher-than-normal grocery bills (due to bringing in ingredients that didn't go with my regular meal plan), and never being ok with the mundane took its toll.

So I took a step back and started cooking what I knew I already loved, and I gained a little more self-confidence instead of holding myself to an internet standard or a beautifully styled food photo. In the process I learned that I'm okay with eating the same thing for lunch on most days and dinner doesn't have to be an epic chore or trip to the grocery store. And you know what? Boring isn't half bad.

What about you? In the kitchen, how do you balance your desire for the new and exciting with the realities of a budget and daily life?

Related: Lunch in a Hurry: 10 Ways to Dress Up Canned Soup

(Image: Emma Christensen)


No comments:

Post a Comment