Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Do You Write In Your Cookbooks?

I always mark up books I read. I highlight, I underline, I jot thoughts in the margins. I love being able to flip back through it and have sections stand outfavorite quotes and other things worth remembering. However, I don't do this with my cookbooks, which I realize is unusual. Do you write in your cookbooks?

A recent article in The New York Times explores the opposite inclination of what I just described: people who copiously mark up cookbooks when they wouldn't dream of writing in any other book. I completely understand the impulse: it's one (and some might say the easiest) way to remember notes on the recipe, on what worked and didn't, on your own changes and tweaks, perhaps even serving and side dish suggestions.

So what's my problem? I like to have things in one place, which makes keeping a recipe journalas Dana wrote about this morning in her post on Orland Gough's cookbookmore my style. The cookbooks stay note-free (which I like better for some reason), while each recipe becomes its own event in my notebook.

What about you? Do you mark up your cookbooks? Do you keep a separate recipe journal?

Related: Orlando Gough's Recipe Journal: A Cookbook Well Worth Seeking Out

(Image: Dana Velden)


Amazon.com: Matilda's Fantastic Cookbook Software 4 (Windows 7 ... Make a family cookbook. Write a cookbook, organize a cookbook and print a cookbook with this easy-to-use Windows 7/Windows XP software. Extremely easy to use. Go From Writing A Single Article To Making $250 Per Hour: Kick Off ... Discover how you can make money writing for the Web. Angela Booth's comprehensive 52-week program covers all forms of Web writing for beginning and experienced writers. 100 Things You Can Learn or Do in 30 Days or Less - Pharmacy ... The Pharm Tech Blog. The Pharm Tech Blog aims to enlighten readers to important information and resources related to medicine, health, and the pharmaceutical industry ... What To Write In A Thank You Card For Weddings and Bridal Party Writing thank you notes? What to write in a thank you card for weddings or bridal party? We got thank you card sample wordings for you.. Cookstr - Recipes You Love From Cookbooks You Trust The best recipe collection on the web -- all from the world's most acclaimed chefs and cookbook authors. Cookstr features tested, trusted recipes for everything you ... Fabulous 4th Grade Froggies: Do you have your classroom procedures ... Teachers in my district officially go back to work on Monday, August 15th and this will be the last weekend of my summer. You would think I would take a road trip to ... SANS: Security Awareness Tip - SANS Information, Network, Computer ... Daily Security Awareness Tip courtesy of the SANS Institute. los angeles writing/editing jobs classifieds - craigslist Junior Writer needed immediately - (Seal Beach) Fri Jan 25 Manaview is looking for a copywriter! - Cantonese Copywriter - (San Francisco) Copy Editor - (Los Angeles ...

No comments:

Post a Comment