Thursday, January 31, 2013

My Kitchen Treat: Cynar Vermouth Cocktail

2013_01_27-cocktail.jpgThis week the writers at the Kitchn have been sharing a few favorite kitchen treats. My treat is something I've been making for myself for only a few weeks, but it's become a fast, furious favorite: a Cynar Vermouth Cocktail.

When I'm cooking dinner in the evening, I often like to have a small drink. It's usually just a little something to sip on, and it signals to me, emotionally anyway, that the work day is transitioning into something else, something a bit quieter. I know this isn't unusual and that many folks do the same thing. For some reason, I find it refreshing while working at home, especially: it's like a marker to tell myself that I can turn the 'work recipe mind' off and play a little more freely in the kitchen.

While wine is a typical choice (we have mini ball jars we like to pour a little in before dinner), lately I've been craving a more bitter cocktail, and dry white vermouth (like Dolin) and a splash of Cynar is where I've been landing. If you're not familiar with Cynar, it's a bitter artichoke liquor. It sounds more odd than it really is. If you like Fernet Branca, Averna, Punt e Mes or even Campari, you'd probably like it. That's it, really. No simple syrup. No squeeze of lemon or special drops of anything. Just as much vermouth as you'd like in your class and a good, healthy splash of Cynar. While I suppose I could also choose good chocolate, a buttery scone, or homemade marmalade as my kitchen treat these days, this cocktail has been really warming up winter nights in our house lately.

Related: My Kitchen Treat: An Admittedly Dorky Canning Funnel

(Image: Megan Gordon)


Emma Rae Curtis Halloween Blog Welcome to the Halloween blog of Emma Rae Curtis. All about Halloween 365 days a year. Eats, Drinks and Sleeps Eating and drinking my way through life ... Another week, another great London Cocktail Society event. This time, us cocktail fiends were treated to a tasting of FEW Spirits at Hix Belgravia by the ... Big Flavors From A Tiny Kitchen This is a recipe I developed to utilize the awesome Strawberry-Rosemary Vodka that we created for my other project, The Domestic Mixologist. This is a fun steak that ... Smores Martini One Martini at a Time I bought a bottle of fluffed marshmallow vodka a few weeks ago without knowing what to do with it. After posting a picture of the vodka on our Facebook page a friend ... cocktail virgin slut quality versus quantity does not have to be a winner-take-all proposition. Best light recipes Courtesy of Homemade Dog Treat Recipes2 1/4 pounds 1 cup quick oatmeal 1/4 cup margarine 1 1/2 cups hot water 1/2 cup ... Per Se - New York, NY (212) 823-9335 "per se is much more than just food -- it's an experience. my fiance and i were lucky enough to score a reservation the day after we got engaged in ... Our Favorite Food Discoveries of 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment