Monday, January 28, 2013

Are Old Lentils and Split Peas Safe to Eat? Good Questions

2013-01-28-LentilsGQ.jpgQ: I made a soup last week with lentils and split peas, but I don't know how old the split peas were. They smelled musty, but I only realized it was the legumes after I had started cooking the soup. Were my lentils or peas bad? Will I get sick if I eat the soup?

Sent by Charlotte

Editor: No, I don't think you need to worry about getting sick from old lentils or other legumes, though I would recommend rinsing them thoroughly before cooking to wash away any dust. At worse, the legumes won't taste as great or cook as evenly. I often find that old lentils get mushy as they cook rather than keeping their shape.

Readers, what other advice or experience do you have to share?

Next question?

Related: How to Cook Lentils on the Stovetop

(Image: Emma Christensen)


Recipes - How To Information eHow.com Recipes: Wondering whats for breakfast, lunch, or dinner? Need a side dish or appetizer to serve with your favorite recipe? Find healthy recipes, cooking tips and ... Kitchen Parade: Shop Your Pantry, Refrigerator & Freezer First Seasonal, easy and healthy recipes made from real food without processed ingredients. All recipes include Weight Watchers old points and PointsPlus points, calorie ... Alessi Split Pea Soup, 6-Ounce Packages (Pack of 6): Amazon.com ... Traditional. There is nothing quite as satisfying as a bowl of rich, hearty soup. Soups are eaten in almost every corner of the world and over the years, certain ... Are split peas the same thing as peas that come in the pod? Okay, this may seem silly but I really don't know!!!! Split peas seem more like beans. I thought they might be dried fresh peas but why are they "split"... is there ... Welcome to VegWeb.com The World's Largest Collection of ... VegWeb is the world's largest vegetarian recipe community. Get ready for an incredible food experience! Split Pea Soup Recipe - Eat, Live, Run So, a couple things. First of all, split pea soup just isnt photogenic. Never was, never will be. I was going to try to photoshop the situation but then I thought ... Recipe: Easy Split Pea Soup - 100 Days of Real Food Whether fall is officially here or not I think anytime is a good time for some hearty, tasty soup! And this soup is so darn easy that my 6-year-old practic Spicy Lentils with Sweet Potatoes and Kale Hi! Some things: 1. I went to bed by ten on St. Patricks Day in a lime square-induced coma. It was awesome. 2. The rest of my weekend involved lots of yoga, a cold ...

No comments:

Post a Comment