Friday, February 15, 2013

A Valentine's Champagne Cocktail Recipe: From Russia with Love The 10-Minute Happy Hour

2013-02-15-RussiaLoveCocktail-2.jpgA mid-day stop for flights of vodka and a caviar tasting with your mom isn't a typical day in the life. Well, at least not my life! But on a recent blustery cold New York afternoon, my mom showed me a little sunshine in the romantically lit, over-the-top glamorous dining room of The Russian Tea Room. Considering it was a work day, I wasn't able to fully partake in the vodka sipping, but I did find something just as indulgent, though less nap-inducing, on the cocktail menu.

2013-02-15-RussiaLoveCocktail-1.jpgThis was truly a special occasion: me and my mom laughing and clinking glasses. No siblings, no children just us.

For most of us, life isn't like a TV show where siblings all hang out together and moms have meaningful lengthy lunches with their daughters discussing life. For us, it's endless days of passing ships mom showing up to baby-sit as I run out the door to work. Or I'm just running into her house to borrow dishes or glassware or linens and of course jewelry. These are the perks of being my mom's daughter. She's got impeccable taste and an arsenal that Martha would swoon over.

So this was a special day with my mom, made even more so by one simple cocktail.

The shots of vodka weren't on my agenda, so I perused the menu. I like the idea of bubbly with caviar as much as I like vodka, so I ordered a drink called From Russia with Love. It included two things that I have under my bar: Chambord and Godiva liqueurs, both of which I rarely reach for. Liqueurs and mixers like these can linger if you aren't hosting multiple cocktail parties in progression. Yet, these little sips make for delicious cocktails not to mention perfect indulgences on a chilly Friday evening.

This week, take a page from The Russian Tea Room and indulge your drink with Chambord and Godiva liqueurs. Pop open some Champagne and you've got a decadent happy hour in less than ten minutes.

2013-02-15-RussiaLoveCocktail-3.jpg

From Russia with Love

Makes one drink

1/2 ounce Dark Godiva Chocolate Liqueur
1/2 ounce Chambord
Champagne
Coco nibs, for garnish, optional

In a Champagne flute, pour the Godiva and the Chambord. Top with chilled Champagne. Sprinkle on a couple of nibs if you like.

Maureen C. Petrosky writes what she knows, food, booze and parties. Author of The Wine Club, she appears regularly on The TODAY show to share her vices, and advice with the world. For more info check out www.maureenpetrosky.com or follow her on twitter @maureenpetrosky

(Images: Maureen Petrosky)


No comments:

Post a Comment