Friday, February 8, 2013

Do You Follow the Rules When You Cook?

Do You Follow the Rules When You Cook?

I am a person who gets nervous about breaking the rules. I hate cutting in line, rarely drive faster than the speed limit, and always, always pick up after my dog. It probably comes as no surprise then that for many years I was careful about following rules in the kitchen. From sticking closely to recipes to only cooking pasta the "correct" way, cooking rules made me feel safe and secure. But my approach has changed since then, and I'm wondering: how closely do you "follow the rules" when you cook?

I cooked almost exclusively from recipes for the first several years after I started cooking. The idea of going off book made me nervous and totally unsure about how a finished dish would turn out. But as I gained confidence in the kitchen, I started experimenting: swapping in different ingredients, combining techniques from two separate recipes, even (gasp!) cooking without a recipe at all.

If you are not a rule-follower, you are probably giggling to yourself right now, wondering who would feel constrained by a recipe list in the first place. And if you are a rule-follower, you are probably nodding in sympathy and possibly feeling a little anxious about the idea of not consulting a recipe at all.

Nowadays, I'm not afraid to deviate from recipes when I use them and in general have become much more experimental in the kitchen. (I don't even cook pasta the "correct" way anymore.) And I think it has made me a better, more creative, more confident and happier cook. I have a few rules (clean as you go! keep the knives sharp!), but for the most part, the first rule of my kitchen is: You do not have to follow rules in my kitchen.

How about you? Do you feel confident about going off in your own direction, or do you cook better when you have recipes and rules to keep you on track?

Related:Independence from Recipes: Use All 5 Senses in the Kitchen

(Image: Cheryl Casey/Shutterstock)



MSN Living Facebook MSN Living. 62,379 likes 1,840 talking about this. Flickr: Make stuff with your photos! - Welcome to Flickr - Photo ... Make stuff with your photos! Make prints, photo products and other cool gifts with our friends at Snapfish. Take a look at what you can create below. Use The No Contact Rule To Get Your Ex Boyfriend Back Signs Ex Girlfriend Still Loves Me Find Out How She Really Feels; Signs Ex Boyfriend Still Loves You; How To Make Your Ex Boyfriend Want You Back The presidency: So, Mitt, what do you really believe? The Economist WHEN Mitt Romney was governor of liberal Massachusetts, he supported abortion, gun control, tackling climate change and a requirement that everyone should buy health ... WhatDoTheyKnow - Make and browse Freedom of Information (FOI) requests File and explore Freedom of Information (FOI) requests to UK government departments and public authorities. Includes search facility and FOI advice. Owl City (owlcity) on Twitter Trends tailored just for you. Trends offer a unique way to get closer to what you care about. They are tailored for you based on your location and who you follow. Facebook Platform Policies - Facebook Developers This agreement was written in English (US). To the extent any translated version of this agreement conflicts with the English version, the English version ... Twitter / Twitter Terms of Service Terms of Service. These Terms of Service ("Terms") govern your access to and use of the services, including our various websites, SMS, APIs, email notifications ...

No comments:

Post a Comment