Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Letting Go: How Junk Food Made Its Way Into Our Home

2013_02_19-Cabinet.jpgLike many parents, I was determined to raise my babies with a taste for healthy food. I obsessed, researching to find out if rice cereal really was the best first food, or if a homemade quinoa cereal would be better. I hovered, sure that a well meaning grandma would try to feed my babies cheese or, even worse, sugar.

Trans fats, artificial colors, GMO food, corn syrup none of them were making it past my sweet darlings' lips into their delicate, pristine guts. I followed all the rules, raising the bar by making my own baby food from all organic ingredients. And I'm glad I did. Even with three children, the oldest 14, I know I made the right choice. We still encourage them to eat well by offering fresh, whole foods and explaining why that sort of thing matters. We want to make nutritious food a habit.

But we also have a mini fridge, stocked with things I never imagined in my home on a regular basis. Years ago, I received a small inheritance, which should have gone into savings. I bought a pool table. It's the perfect place to gather with friends and family, and gosh darn-it, I had always wanted one. A refurbished hotel fridge cabinet found on eBay completed the room.

The table brings kids to our house. Like most parents, I like my children nearby, where I can keep an eye on them, at least within shouting distance. Most teenagers don't appreciate unsweetened herbal iced tea, homemade granola bars with agave, and salt-free raw almonds. When I invite my grown-up friends into my home, we share special treats, like prosciutto, decadent cheese, crispy potato chips, a good bottle of wine. My children's friends deserve the same courtesy.

The snacks aren't altogether horrible. I usually have cheese sticks, packaged nuts, and healthier versions of things like snack mix and dried fruit. But the soda is real, not naturally sweetened. The cans are small, and I also stock juice boxes. (One in five teens prefers apple juice over soda, at least according to my anecdotal study.) The Diet Coke is mine, all mine; they know it's off limits. If they go through the sodas too fast, I have a simple solution: I don't restock the bar for a while, and no one complains.

Have your views on nutrition changed over the years? For parents, how strict are you about food?

Related: In Defense of "Kid Food"

(Image: Anne Postic)


Make "Off-The-Grid" Super Food Secretly In Your Home Make "Off-The-Grid" Super Foods Secretly In Your Home How To Outwit The Food Nazis and Create The "Super Digestive System" That Kept Your Grandparents The Language of Letting Go: Hazelden Meditation Series: Melody ... "Beattie understands being overboard, which helps her to throw best-selling lines to those still adrift." -- Time "Melody Beattie gives you the tools to discover the ... recipes baking cat treats, homemade cat food, make your own cat ... cat food recipes online provide recipes baking cat treats, homemade cat food and cat food recipes. We provide homemade pet food recipes for cat food recipes, cat ... The Only Way Back - Christian Heritage, Godly Heritage Have you ever looked at the news headlines and wondered how long can America really survive? You probably have some food put away... maybe some gold or silver coins ... Food Storage Made Easy HAPPY VALENTINES DAY! In the past weve posted a few fun things about Valentines Day such as Jodis Hot Date, our Valentines Day Office Kit, or ... JunkScience.com All the Junk That's Fit to Debunk All the Junk That's Fit to Debunk ... WashTimes: Judge nixes case against EPA human experiments (February 13) Senators Question EPA Air Regulation Rule Over Human ... Lifestyle MSN Arabia English content varied interest in all the affairs of men and women of the topics of fashion, diet, health,fitness & dating news and caring for .. Amazon.com: Never Let Me Go (9781400078776): Kazuo Ishiguro: Books All children should believe they are special. But the students of Hailsham, an elite school in the English countryside, are so special that visitors shun them, and ...

No comments:

Post a Comment