Thursday, February 7, 2013

My Morning Delight: A French Press Cold Brew

2013-02-06_cold_brew_french_press_salted_caramel_812.jpgIf you live up north, you may not be craving a cold brew this time of year. Down south in Texas, though, I'll tell you that things are quite different. Temperatures are already hitting 80 degrees! But when I want to hang onto that January cool for just a bit longer, I make a French pressed cold brew coffee with a little sea salt and caramel.

If you've tried making your own cold brew coffee, chances are it came from a recipe inspired by a popular New York Times article published almost 5 years ago. It's a fantastic recipe, and one that inspires this very post, but why not make things easier by introducing a French press into the equation?

2013-02-06_cold_brew_french_press_salted_caramel_813.jpg

That's the French press my wife picked up last year, in the burnt orange shade of her Alma Mater. She's always thinking about multi-functionality and this French press / coffee mug crossover is just the kind of thing she buys on impulse. You could even take this one with you to the office!

I work from home, so the on-the-go benefits of that particular French press / coffee mug-a-jig are lost on me. But what isn't lost on me are cold brew French press possibilities...

2013-02-06_cold_brew_french_press_salted_caramel_814.jpg

...possibilities that don't require transferring liquids to another vessel, or covering jars with saran wrap, or breaking out multiple filters. Possibilities of a method that simply requires "Whhhhhirr!!!", "Drip, Drip, Drop!" and "Whoooosh!" the sounds of grinding coffee, adding water, and opening a refrigerator door.

You'll need to put in a little forethought for a cold brew coffee, but it's worth it particularly because I sneak in some milk caramel, a treat I pick up from a local farm that caramelizes some of their cow milk.

2013-02-06_french_press_cold_brew_caramel_salt_820.jpg

I then top it all off with a pinch of sea salt, because who doesn't love a salted caramel? It's morning treat I'm enjoying a lot of these days. Have you been enjoying the delights of cold brew coffee lately too?

What flavorings do you like to add?

2013-02-06_cold_brew_french_press_salted_caramel_815.jpg

Related:
Help Me Make Stronger Cold-Brew Coffee!
The Toddy Take on Iced Coffee
Japanese Iced Coffee Method: Better Than Cold Brewing?

(Images: Chris Perez)


GoodMorningGloucester My View of Life on the Dock My View of Life on the Dock ... Please dont send me anything for the week or if you do, just dont get upset if it doesnt get posted. French Press Face-off: A First Look at the Espro Press Prima Coffee Blog Post: French Press Face-off: A First Look at the Espro Press. Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - 14:43 by Prima Coffee My Nature's Delight Retails natural herbs, vitamins, supplements, and formulas. Telephone and online private consultations are available from onsite herbalists, pharmacists, and natural ... Delectable Delights I wasnt a tomato pickle fan till my mom made this quick version. This is no way close to the traditional recipe. My mom as well as my mother in law both make a ... Latest blog posts - Spokane7 Spokane7 entertainment blog, covering movies, dining and things to do in Spokane and North Idaho. The French Press - Santa Barbara, CA (805) 963-2721 "I am a huge coffee person, I am known on a first name basis at a lot of places haha. I was dining across the street and went into this spot for a ... A Delight of France - Escondido - Escondido, CA (760) 746-2644 "The good: I love the cooked food here. The Chef's special is heavenly. The hollandaise sauce is perfect every time I come in and the potatoes are ... cold-brewed iced coffee smitten kitchen A home cooking weblog from a tiny kitchen in New York City. The place to find all of your new favorite things to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment