Monday, February 11, 2013

The Wisdom of Owning More Than One Set of Measuring Cups and Spoons

2013_02_11-spoons.jpgI'm a big fan of keeping unnecessary tools and gadgets out of my kitchen, but I find that there's one item I don't mind owning a few extras of: measuring cups and spoons. The reason is simple. There are very few recipes that require just one teaspoon of something or don't need more than one measuring cup. These utensils are used daily in my kitchen, if not several times a day, and they don't take up a lot of space. So why not have a few extras around?

That said, I do try to strategize my measuring devices to avoid using too many. I always measure out the dry items first, for instance, because I can usually use the spoons again for the wet stuff without washing them before hand. And if a recipe calls for both oil and something sticky like molasses or nut butter, then I always measure the oil first so that the sticky stuff doesn't, well, stick. I've also been known to utilize the fact that 4 tablespoons equals 1/4 cup as a way to not dirty a measuring cup.

But often I'm happy that I have more than one tablespoon in my kitchen. While I have adapted Deborah Madison's pan of soapy water trick to quickly wash and reuse utensils, the truth is just dried items are often slightly damp no matter how much I wipe them with a towel. Besides, it's really not that much of a bother to wash an extra measuring cup or two.

How about you? Do you keep it minimal or do you like to have a few spare measuring cups and spoons around?

Related: On How I Organize My Measuring Spoons

(Image: Dana Velden)


DIY Tuesday: Make your Own Disinfecting Wipes + More ... I dont know about you but I can really go through those tubes of disinfecting wipes, which over time, can begin to add up! So when I went on my cleaning spree this ... The English Kitchen: Measurement Conversion List Make Your Own Self Raising Flour: You can make your own self raising flour by adding 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder and 1/4 tsp of salt to every cup of plain ... Food & Drink - How To Information eHow.com Food & Drink: Don't let that next party be a flop. Be the envy of your friends thanks to eHow's entertaining secrets sure to make that next affair a success. Food is ... Homemade Bread: Cheap, Delicious, Healthy, and Easier Than You ... Over the last year, Ive gradually moved more and more towards making my own food at home. There are several reasons for this: it tastes better, it reduces ... Amazon.com: MIU France 7-Piece Stainless Steel Measuring Cup Set ... Measuring cups with sizes that include 1/8, 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, and 1 cup; Constructed of 18/10 stainless steel that will not rust, stain, or corrode Fred M Cup Measuring Matroyshkas, Set of 6 Dry Measuring Cups Measure and bake with glee using this set of 6 dry measuring cups made in the shapes of traditional Russian matroyshkas. The cups even nest like the Russian dolls for ... News Archive - The Hill - covering Congress, Politics, Political ... The Hill is a congressional newspaper that publishes daily when Congress is in session, with a special focus on business and lobbying, political campaigns and goings ... Advice: Wisdom Tooth Extraction, what to eat? - General Topics ... I will be having oral surgery to extract my wisdom tooth in about 4 hours. Of course, I was instructed not to eat anything 8 hours prior to surgery, s

No comments:

Post a Comment