Thursday, February 21, 2013

What Is Nougat Anyway?

IMG_4089-2.jpgI was enjoying a meal at a local restaurant this week trying to manage one more bite of my entree before admitting I was full and calling it quits when out came the waitress mentioning that the dessert special for the day was a nutella cake with homemade nougat ice cream. My regular stomach clocked out, and my dessert stomach clocked in. "We're doing this!" But what the heck is nougat anyway?

I've never been exactly sure about nougat, but I do know that I love it. Anything with that fluffy, whipped delicacy is absolutely making its way into my stomach with no leftovers. But before that night I'd only seen nougat in candy bars like Snickers, 3 Musketeers, and Zero, so I always had a feeling nougat was fake or processed. But when I heard the words "homemade" and "nougat" together I knew it wasn't fake, and best of all I knew that meant I could make my own.

Nougat which first of all is pronounced new-get not new-gat is traditionally an aerated blend of sugar, egg whites, and nuts and/or fruit. The homemade variety looks very different than the type you find in the middle of the candy bar. Turns out the "nougat" most of us are familiar with isn't really nougat at all it's a processed mess of hydrolyzed proteins and corn syrup. The real stuff looks like a cross between fudge and fruit cake. And actually "nougat" is even derived from the French word "nogat" which means nut cake.

2013-02-20_Nougat_What_The_Heck_is_it_835.jpg

Scratch-made nougat comes in a few varieties of colors (white and brown) and forms (hard and soft). The one on my plate was in made into an ice cream, and it was like melted divinity. My dessert stomach once again came through and took one for the team.

Curious to try it yourself? Adventures with Cooking has a great looking nougat recipe that you can follow to make some yourself.

Get the Recipe: Nougat with Pistachios and Dried Cranberries Adventures with Cooking

Have you ever made homemade nougat?

Related: A Recipe from Provence: Nougat de Montlimar

(Images: 1. Eva Kosmos from Adventures with Cooking 2. Chris Perez)


Torrone Nougat Candy, 18 Assorted Pieces (Ferrara) 180g: Amazon ... Almond honey nougat candy. All natural, low fat. Less than 45 calories per piece. 18 individually wrapped pieces of assorted vanilla, orange and lemon flavors ... Pronounciation - Nougat? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers Best Answer: My electronic Collins Dictionary says "Noo gaa" too. That's the closest pronunciation to French anyway. ... Deffinately noo-gaa, if it was ... What is Nougat? What is Nougat, where does it come from and how is it made? Nougat Bars From France (Montelimar) 6 Pack 6x1.06oz: Amazon.com ... What could be simpler or tastier than this candy made from almonds, honey, pistachios, and egg whites? These nougat bars are made by Chabert et Guillot, based in the ... Step 1: Make the Nougat - Caramel and Nougat Candy Bars I used to like Snickers candy bars. ...or, at least, I thought I did. I like the concept. The execution tends to be disappointing, though. Cheap, ... Four Layer Nougat Bars (peanut butter, caramel, chocolate!) Recipe ... http://simurl.com/kedvub Four Layer Nougat Bars (peanut butter, caramel, chocolate!) Recipe - No Bake chocolate, hand made, milk, cooking, home made, four ... Colour me distracted My daily distractions My daily distractions (by Distracted) ... I have never really been into Hip-Hop. I would tolerate it when it played, a die hard fan? Peanut Butter Nougat - Boiling Sugar Learning candy making, one ... I havent had a lot of time to either make candy or blog about it lately, but on the off time I have been pondering what to focus on doing this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment