Wednesday, February 6, 2013

What's Wrong With My Pizza Stone? Good Questions

Q: I got a pizza stone with the convection oven I bought at Kohl's and online instructions said to 'condition' the stone first. But as it was heating, the smell was awful. It got worse, and started stinging my throat and eyes. After I turned the oven off, it continued to smell bad. This morning, my eyes are still burning! What could cause this?

I conditioned the stone by coating it with vegetable oil (I used canola), and put it in a cold oven, turned the temp to 350F, and once it reached that temp, left it heating for 20 min. Then I turned off the oven and let the stone cool overnight. Repeat the next day.

Sent byJudy

Editor:The smell could have been the oil burning, but that doesn't seem likely to have caused the kind of extensive stinging and bad odor you mention. I don't typically season my new pizza stones just wash it, let it dry, and it's ready!

Had you used your oven before this point? New ovens often need to be heated a few times before actually using them to burn off whatever solvents, cleaners, and chemicals were used during assembly. You'll need to turn on your fan and open a window!

Readers, what other thoughts do you have?

Next question?

Related:Want Awesome Pizza? Turn Up the Oven

(Image: Sur la Table)


Best Pizza Dough Ever Recipe - 101 Cookbooks Peter Reinhart's Napoletana pizza dough recipe. It makes my all-time favorite pizza dough using a delayed-fermentation method. Whats Wrong With This Picture? Bailey Agency Edition Tamara ... Lets look at this image for the Bailey Agency. You know, Cynthia Baileys Bailey Agency School of Fashion which is Continue reading Today, I made an old man cry for being so nice to him, and my co ... So I am a cashier at Walmart. There's a particular old man who comes in just about everyday, and always comes through my line and we talk about conspi... Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com See 5 year old duke it out in cage matchSee 5-year-old duke it out in cage fight Ran Prieur Ran Prieur "The bigger you build the bonfire, the more darkness is revealed." - Terence McKenna Whats wrong with eating meat Please take some time reading this article as you will get some information behind eating meat. Ultimately its for your own benefit and benefit for the whole world. Blog Globs: What's Wrong with the Beatles? Alot. Occult Symbols on ... "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free" -Goethe. If you like this blog, please add it to your favourites, and ... Whats Wrong With This Picture? A Two-fer With Teresa Giudice ... Whats Wrong With This Picture? A Two-fer With Teresa Giudice. 02 Sunday Sep 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment