Wednesday, February 20, 2013

When Baking is Easier Than Buying

2013_02_19-Cookies.jpgAs soon as I agreed to make the cookies, I entered the event on my calendar: "Make Cookies for Teacher Treat Day." Several times in the two weeks that preceded the big day, I thought to myself, sometimes out loud even, "Is today the day I make the cookies?" I always knew the answer and was sure I would remember. And I did remember, at 11:30pm, when my husband and I were in the middle of catching up on The Bachelor, the night before I was supposed to send the cookies to school with my son.

For a moment, I considered sneaking to Whole Foods at the crack of dawn and buying the most homemade-looking cookies to repackage in my own container. But cookies just aren't that difficult, are they? I knew I could make them in the time it would take me to change out of my pajamas, rush to the store, and rush back home to disguise them as my own. This was not my first time at the rodeo. I had been the last rider to leave the gate many times before.

My easiest cookie recipe has two ingredients refrigerator sugar cookie dough and lavender salt. And three steps: Cut dough into bite-size pieces, sprinkle with lavender salt, and bake according to instructions on the package. Bonus points for buying the fancy pre-packaged dough, without extra additives or trans fats. The cheater cookies embarrassed me, just a little, until one of my favorite chefs came to a party at our house and called me the next day begging for my secret lavender shortbread recipe.

If I have a little more time, I almost always have the ingredients for peanut butter cookies. Recently, I had the time but, alas, only one cup of flour. I did what anyone would do, searched the internet for "1 cup all-purpose flour" and "peanut butter cookies." Martha Stewart, always cool under pressure, had my back. (See her peanut butter cookies here.) And since I didn't have to rush out to the grocery store in the morning, I made sure to set a few cookies aside to enjoy with my coffee.

Do you have any dishes in your last-minute repertoire? Or have you ever passed off anything storebought as your own? (Come on make me feel better!) What's always in your pantry?

Related: Easy, Yummy and Fun! 10 Kid-Friendly Cookie Recipes

(Image: Anne Postic)


Amazon.com: Music Is Better Than Words: Seth MacFarlane: Music Songs from this album are available to purchase as MP3s. Click on "Buy MP3" or view the MP3 Album. ... Much Better Than Forex Trading - Revolutionary Binary Options ... CLICK HERE -- http://a.cedarfinance.com/?id=100000&... -- Start Making Money Every 60 Seconds Right NOW ! Much Better Than Forex Trading - Revolutionary ... How to start and grow your baking business Taking the first steps in starting a baking business from home, is not unlike starting any other business from home. If you are serious about embarking on this ... Baking Double Chocolate Strawberry Pavlovas sweet indulgence! Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first. Ernestine Ulmer. Double Chocolate Strawberry Pavlovas! They werent for V Day; coincidentally just got made the same day. ETS Zeolite - Heavy Metal Detoxification - Better Than Chelation ETS Zeolite - is the world's most powerful powdered Zeolite, with a CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity) rating of at least 150. BioSense Memory Foam Shoulder Pillow with Better Than Down Cover BioSense Memory Foam Shoulder Pillow with Better Than Down Cover. Custom support that's just right for side-sleepers. Soft, plush exterior for year-round comfort ... TicketLeap - Sell Tickets Online - Event Registration and Box ... Sell tickets online to your events with TicketLeap, a free and easy to use event registration and complete box office software. Organic food no better than conventional for kids, pediatricians ... If youre buying organic foods for your kids because you think theyre more nutritious, you might want to think again. The nations pediatricians have weighed ...

No comments:

Post a Comment