Monday, October 29, 2012

Halloween Brunch Recipe: Pumpkin-Chocolate Chunk Pancakes Recipes from The Kitchn

2012-10-29-PumpkinPancakes-1.jpgBack when I lived in Los Angeles, there was a bustling pancake house down the street from my apartment. The line, filled with too-cool hipsters and skinny models, always wrapped around the corner, but if you were willing to battle the in-crowd it was well worth the wait. It was known for its crazy flavor combinations, like 'Red Velvet PanCAKES' with a cream cheese frosting swirl. (The bloody Mary's weren't half bad either.)

My sister and I made a weekly appearance and our order was always the same. For herthe 'Kid at Heart' with extra sprinkles with an avalanche of chocolate syrup. For me'Tis the Season,' filled with pumpkin pie filling and a blizzard of cinnamon spice. I've thought a lot about those pancakes since I moved away. With Halloween this week, I decided it was time to take the recipe challenge.

I started with my best buttermilk pancake recipe, adapted over the years from my favorite Southern community cookbook. A few of cans of pumpkin later, I had a solid recipe worthy of any Hollywood brunch scene. But what could make them even better? Well chocolate of course! I threw in some candy corn M&M's and a handful of chocolate chunks, and my mission was complete. Just proof you are never too old for a little fun.

2012-10-29-PumpkinPancakes-2.jpg

Pumpkin-Chocolate Chunk Pancakes

Serves 4

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup potato starch
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cups buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
Chocolate chips, M&M's, or chopped candy (optional)

In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, potato starch, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg, pumpkin, butter, and vanilla. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined, being careful not to over-mix.

Heat non-stick griddle to 325F (medium heat) and lightly coat with cooking spray. Cook pancakes until bubbles cover the top and the bottom is light golden brown. Sprinkle any additions (chocolate chips, chopped pecans, candy, etc.) over the top and flip. Continue to cook until pancake is cooked through. Serve with warm maple syrup and whipped cream.

2012-10-29-PumpkinPancakes-3.jpg

Related: Recipe: Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie Treats

(Images: Nealey Dozier)


Be Different, Act Normal by Lorie [Huggies] Preparing Older Siblings For The New Arrival BBC - Food - Recipes Find recipes from your favourite BBC programmes and chefs, or browse by ingredient or dish. With over 12,000 recipes you're sure to find the perfect dish. Acorn Candy Cookies Recipe - Allrecipes.com Chocolate kisses and vanilla wafer cookies make cute little acorns for decorating cakes and cupcakes. The nut of the acorn is a chocolate kiss, and the acorn's cup is ... My Recipe Box I have a serious problem in the fall. This is my 9th post in a row that is something sweet! Perhaps I should get back to that diet plan I've been trying to stay on ... Chocolate Chip Recipes Recipe Girl - RecipeGirl.com A collection of 100 of the best chocolate chip recipes on the internet. From cookies to brownies to cakes and pies, ice cream and even breakfast. Lots and lots! Recipe Center: Recipes for Professional Chefs & Home Cooks ... Chef2Chef's recipe center features thousands of delicious recipes for professional chefs and home cooks. Browse recipes by ingredient, cuisine, course, and more. Delicious Food Recipes - Arts and Crafts Ideas - Entertaining Tips ... Scare up some Halloween inspiration with these creative pumpkin-carving ideas. Cooks.com - Recipe Search and More Recipe search engine covers many categories within a large database. Features a Mastercook recipe export capability. Food & Drink - How To Information eHow.com Food & Drink: Don't let that next party be a flop. Be the envy of your friends thanks to eHow's entertaining secrets sure to make that next affair a success. Food is ... My Recipe Box: Copykat Outback Steakhouse Wedge Salad I hadn't been to Outback in years, and when I did I always ordered the same thing. We had some gift cards to use, so a few weeks ago we headed on over.

No comments:

Post a Comment