Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Massaging Raw Kale for Salads: Awesome... or Just Dumb?

2012-10-30-MassageKale.jpgKale salads are definitely having their moment! You'll find one on almost every trendy restaurant menu, and it seems like I get a new kale salad recipe popping up in my blog feed every time I check. But I've found that there's one step for making these kale salads that often makes people balk: massaging the kale. Do you massage, or is this getting a little too intimate with your food?

I'll raise my hand as being among the kale massagers. As Emily pointed out in her post on making a better kale salad, I find that rubbing the dressing into the raw leaves helps to soften them up and makes sure the whole salad is well-seasoned. Tossing them like a normal salad just leaves a puddle of vinaigrette at the bottom of the bowl and a bunch of tough tasteless leaves on my fork.

I wonder if it's the term "massaging" that turns people off? It does sound a little...foodie pretentious, to be sure. I could also see how sticking your bare hands in a bowl of salad greens could also seem a little crazy at first!

How do you feel about massaging your kale? Yay or nay?

Related: The Ultimate Best Kitchen Tool? Your Hands!

(Image: Megan Gordon)


Spicy Thai Kale Chips Dehydrated kale chips with a spicy Thai-style thing going on. Outstanding Miso Sesame Dressing - Choosing Raw vegan and raw ... All my excitement about fattening up Zukays wonderful cucumber mint dressing last week got me thinking about dressings, and how my smoky avocado cumin dressing was ... I Love Kale I know, I had you at raw. Many people are intimidated and dont know how to prepare raw kale, but dont fret, its easy! If youre going to become a kale ... Almost Raw Vegan Ok, so Im thinking .by now most of you have probably figured out that Im a Kris Carr groupie. Ever since I read Crazy Sexy Diet I have become a huge (HUGE) fan. Welcome to VegWeb.com The World's Largest Collection of ... VegWeb is the world's largest vegetarian recipe community. Get ready for an incredible food experience! Self Care Health, Lifestyle, and Beauty Blog improve your health and wellness ... In the beginning of August, Matt and I got married in the North Georgia Mountains. Cheesy Kale Chips Pride & Vegudice I contemplated calling them Cheezy Kale Chips, but Im so sick of putting names of vegan things into quotations! Anyone else? Its still REAL food! Yes ... Recipe for Healthy Gluten-Free Diet: Raw Vegan Snacks Recipes ... The Blender Girl shares her favourite homemade healthy raw vegan gluten free snacks recipes the whole family can enjoy. Choosing Raw vegan and raw recipes A Celebration of Vegan ... A Celebration of Vegan and Raw Food ... A week or so ago, a longtime local reader named Beth (whose name I recognized right away from comments) emailed me to ask ... Killer Kale Smoothie - The Holy Kale The Best in Organic, Raw ... So being The Holy Kale and all, I realized that I have been quite selfish for not sharing with you all my favorite, and most dear, kale recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment