Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Oooh, Baby! Why I Love Baby Spinach for Quick Weeknight Meals Ingredient Spotlight

Oooh, Baby! Why I Love Baby Spinach for Quick Weeknight Meals

I am a reluctant adopter of hearty dark greens. Knowing they are "good for me" has never felt like quite enough incentive to get me to actually tackle a mound of greens and cook them up for dinner, and I do so grudgingly. Until I discovered baby spinach. Pre-washed, pre-bagged, tender and ready to eat, baby spinach is a total supermarket shortcut, and in the name of healthier eating habits and convenience, I'll take it.

I have found that baby spinach can go into just about anything: add a handful to tomato soup, wilt a few cups down for a frittata, toss with pasta, you name it. The tender, watery leaves cook in what seems like seconds and practically melt into whatever dish I'm making.

Baby spinach also has a much less bitter flavor than many other dark greens, making it an easier sell for the reluctant adopters among us. You can even eat the leaves raw in a salad, though I like them best in a mix with other greens.

I consider baby spinach to be my gateway green. These days, I eat kale salads and happily chop up big bunches of chard for soups. But baby spinach still has a special place in my heart and my fridge. For quick and wholesome meals, a few handfuls of baby spinach never let me down.

Do you love baby spinach? How do you like to use it?

Try These Recipes with Baby Spinach:

  • Baked Fish, Spinach, and Tomatoes in Foil Packets
  • Braised Coconut Spinach and Chickpeas with Lemon
  • Double Spinach Pasta Casserole with Pesto and Asiago Cheese
  • Baked Eggs with Creamy Polenta, Spinach, and Garlic
  • Creamy Lemon Pasta with Spinach and Peas

Related: Ten Pantry Staples Not to be Caught Without

(Image:barbaradudzinska/Shutterstock)


Squaw Corn Recipes - Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople Top squaw corn recipes and other great tasting recipes with a healthy slant from SparkRecipes.com. 7 Things NOT To Do at Your Baby Shower Being Pregnant Ive never liked baby showers. In fact, Ill go so far as to say I hate them. All the oohing and aahing and awkward conversations with people you barely know ... Welcome Baby Will Yaeger Newborn Gallery Click Here 17-Baby ... Louis Vuitton Messenger Bosphore PM M40106 Monogram Canvas Louis Vuitton Cabas Piano - Medium M51148 Monogram Canvas Louis Vuitton Drouot M51290 Monogram Canvas warm mushroom salad with hazelnuts smitten kitchen A home cooking weblog from a tiny kitchen in New York City. The place to find all of your new favorite things to cook. Health News & Articles Healthy Living - ABC News Get the latest health news from Dr. Richard Besser. Here you'll find stories about new medical research, the latest health care trends and health issues that affect ... spinach and chickpeas smitten kitchen First off, this dish is not called spinach and chickpeas, it is espinacas con garbanzos. Dont you agree? Spinach and chickpeas is something you eat ... penne with white beans and spinach - Eat, Live, Run fast healthy pasta dishes ... After all of the buffalo dip and mac&cheese at beginning of the week, its high time for a healthy(er) dinner to lighten things up again. Kid-Friendly - Pinterest / Home At skinnytaste.com, you will find healthy dishes that do not sacrifice any of the flavor that can be found in their full-fat origins. New recipes are posted daily!

No comments:

Post a Comment