Monday, October 22, 2012

Boiled Dry: Can This Pot Be Saved?

2012_10_22-pot.jpgIt happens to the best of us at least, that's what I told myself after letting a stainless steel pot boil dry last week. I set some water on the stove, got distracted, and ... sniff, sniff, what's that burning smell? First I sighed with relief that the kitchen hadn't gone up in flames, and then I turned my attention to one very discolored piece of cookware. The pot had burned completely dry, turning shades of black, brown, blue with a chalky black residue on the interior. Was it salvageable?

First, to address to residue, I boiled a mixture of half vinegar and half water in the pot for 10 minutes (staying close by this time!). After letting it cool and sit for several hours, I was able to scrub away some of the residue. Needing something more, however, I turned to Bar Keepers Friend, a mild abrasive. It required a fair amount of elbow grease in addition to the Bar Keepers Friend, but I was finally able to get the pot clean. The pot is still discolored on the outside, but it's usable. Whew!

Have you ever boiled a stainless steel pot dry? Were you able to bring it back?

Related: How To Clean Tough Burnt Stains Off Stainless Cookware

(Image: Emily Ho)


Boil Water - How To Information eHow.com Don't just sit there scratching your head, find useful info on Boil Water on eHow. Get essential tips and learn more about everything from Brining Potato Wedges ... Food Storage Recipes And More - Upload & Share PowerPoint ... Food Storage Recipes and MORE! Breakfast Main Rice Vegetable Lentil/Peas/Beans Soups Breads Dairy Salads Corn Wheat/Wheat Berri Hard Boiled Eggs - How To Information eHow.com Don't just sit there scratching your head, find useful info on Hard Boiled Eggs on eHow. Get essential tips and learn more about everything from Hard Boiled Egg ... Louisiana Crawfish Boil Recipe - Allrecipes.com Fit a large (5 gallon) pot with a strainer insert, and fill half full with water. Add the garlic, bay leaves, dry and liquid crab boil seasonings, salt, pepper ... Every Pot in the House My humble attempts at being an epicurean. Every recipe has a twist - not because of creativity but because I simply cannot follow directions. Pot Likker Soup Recipe MyRecipes.com - Find the Best Recipes ... 2 (1-lb.) smoked ham hocks; 1 medium onion, chopped; 1 medium carrot, diced; 1 tablespoon vegetable oil; 1 garlic clove, chopped; 1/2 cup dry white wine; 1/2 teaspoon ... Can Those Children Be Saved? Not By Child Protective Services ... Autopsy: Foster child died of head injuries. CULLOM -- A four-year-old foster child died as a result of head injuries, an autopsy showed Friday, as authorities ... equipment - What happened, when I boiled this pot dry? - Seasoned ... I started boiling water in a small, stainless steel, copper-bottom pot. Old story: I forgot about it, the water boiled away, and the pot spent a couple hours on ... How to Make Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs Simply Recipes Hard boiled eggs recipe. Tips for how to boil eggs so they come out perfectly every time. My braised/pot roasted beef/pork roasts always come out dry, hard ... My braised/pot roasted beef/pork roasts always come out dry, hard

No comments:

Post a Comment