Friday, October 12, 2012

DIY Recipe: Quick Red Pizza Sauce Recipes from The Kitchn

01-11_10_2012-DSC_9522.jpgGood sauce is essential to great pizza, and excellent homemade pizza sauce is so quick and easy, I always make it myself. Here's how I make my tomato pizza sauce. It's uncooked, tangy, and take less than 3 minutes to whip up.

I used to cook my tomato sauce, a long-ish process that was more like making a pasta marinara than the fresher sauce used for good pizza. But I was inspired by Brandon Pettit, when I visited him and Molly at Delancey a few years ago. Brandon said that he preferred uncooked tomatoes for pizza sauce (see the full video of his pizza sauce tips here).

Ever since then I've been making my pizza sauce out of canned tomatoes diced or whole, whichever I have on hand. (If I have a few fresh Roma tomatoes around sometimes I use these instead, but I do find that sometimes the texture of the skins is a little distracting.) I blend them quickly in a chopper, then add salt, pepper, fresh garlic, and a drizzle of olive oil. Sometimes I whiz in fresh basil.

The result is a fresh, tangy sauce to complement the yeasty crust and the savory toppings. It makes enough for a light smear of sauce on about 6 pizzas (I don't believe pizza should be drenched in sauce a smear is enough). And it doesn't take more than a few minutes.

Is this how you make your pizza sauce? Or do you use something else? We'd love any pizza sauce advice or tips you have!

Fresh Tomato Pizza Sauce

makes about 2 cups, enough for at least 6 pizzas

15-ounce can whole or diced tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, or to taste
Olive oil
A few leaves fresh basil, optional
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Blend the tomatoes with the garlic, balsamic vinegar, and a drizzle of olive oil, as well as well as the basil, if using.

This keeps up to a week in the fridge and much longer frozen. Freeze in individual bags, then defrost overnight, snip off a corner and squeeze out the sauce.

Related: How to Make Really Good Pizza at Home

(Image: Faith Durand)


Pizza Without the Red Sauce Recipe - Allrecipes.com The sauce on this pizza is a mixture of butter, olive oil, garlic, sun-dried tomato pesto, herbs and Parmesan cheese. It's topped with a fresh tomato, spinach, onion ... Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe Taste of Home Recipes Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe. Read reviews (2) Rate recipe. Flavored with garlic, basil and Italian seasoning, this versatile sauce from our Test Kitchen staff will ... Homemade Pizza Sauce Made Lighter Recipe - Allrecipes.com Replace sugar with carrots in an easy homemade pizza sauce to enhance the natural sweetness of the sauce and get a few hidden veggies into the kids. Quick And Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe - Food.com - 456442 What's a Cookbook? You can save and organize your favorite recipes into FREE online cookbooks. Create as many as you want! Homemade Pizza Sauce - Food.com - Thousands Of Free Recipes From ... A "tangy" pizza sauce. I cheated and added chopped tinned tomatoes. Also added a tablespoon of brown sugar to mellow the taste. A nice thick sauce, I am tired of ... D.I.Y. Recipe: Pizza Sauce The Kitchn Good sauce is essential to great pizza, and homemade pizza sauce is almost as easy as opening a jar. Here are recipes for both red and white sauce, since some ... Homemade Pizza Recipe Simply Recipes Classic homemade pizza recipe, including pizza dough and toppings, step-by-step instructions with photos. Make perfect pizza at home! Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe Taste of Home Recipes Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe photo by Taste of Home. Read reviews (16) Rate recipe. Meet the Cook: For years, I had trouble finding a pizza ... Homemade Croutons, Shredded Chicken and Recipe for Red Sauce One of the things that I love about freezer cooking, or once-a-month cooking as it is often called, is that I can make a multitude of homemade convenience items that ... What Megan's Making Quick and Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce This recipe has revolutionized my homemade pizzas. I realize thats a bold statement, but thats how strongly I feel about this pizza sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment