Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Know Your Potato: Which Variety is Best for Mashing, Roasting, Baking?

2008_09_24potatoes.jpegI was recently at a higher-end grocery store picking up some cheese to have around for the weekend. I grabbed fingerling potatoes to have for dinner that night, got up to the register only to learn that the small bag was $11. I had one of those moments of minor shock and uncertainty: I needed the potatoes for dinner but couldn't pay that for a small bag of fingerlings. I apologized and told the cashier I should put them back, strolled over to the produce aisle and found myself staring down what seemed like dozens of potato varieties: which to choose for roasting?

We don't eat a ton of potatoes at home, but when we do I pick up pretty basic russets for baked potatoes and waxier potatoes in the summer for potato salads. But a recent piece by food writer Megan Headley aimed to clear things up a little. Headley details the difference between three varieties of potatoes: starchy, waxy, or all-purpose. Here's a very brief re-cap of what she had to say:

1) Starchy potatoes (russets and many sweet potatoes): Great for baking and frying as they're absorbant.

2) Waxy potatoes (red-skinned and fingerling potatoes): These potatoes are great for soups and salads because they hold their shape so well during cooking.

3) All-purpose potatoes (Yukon Gold, blue, and purple potatoes): Good for roasting, mashing or baking.

While I actually ended up leaving the store without potatoes that day, I've now been paying more attention to this humble root vegetable and how the different varieties behave in the kitchen. When fingerlings are rung up at $11, I can reach for red-skinned potatoes and call it a day. I've also started chatting with the farmers at our weekly farmers market about different heirloom varieties they have -- for 1/5 of the price, I might add.

Do you have a favorite roasting or baking potato?

Related: How to Pick a Potato

(Image: Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan)


Best Ever Mashed Potatoes Recipe - Food.com - 31925 these are awesome potatoes! they are so good you don't need any gravy. i did end up using a whole stick of butter (8 tablespoons) and almost 1 teaspoon of kosher salt ... Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes - Recipe File - Cooking For Engineers At family gatherings, casual dinner parties, and potlucks, the main attraction is usually the turkey, ham, or roast. The main course always gets all the attention and ... What are the best potatoes for baking? - Seasoned Advice What are the best varieties of potatoes to use for baking with a roast that will give a nice golden brown finish on the outside? [Edit: to clarify, I'm from Australia ... How to: Potatoes > Start Cooking There is an incredible variety of potatoes from around the world literally thousands of them. Different varieties of potatoes vary in texture. How to Best Homemade Mashed Potatoes eHow.com make easy mashed potatoes that are down right delicious Does this Spark an idea? How To Make Mashed Potatoes > Start Cooking I was surprised to hear one of the trainers at my gym say that he prefers instant mashed potatoes from a box rather than the real thing! I thought to myself he ... Why are my mashed potatoes gummy? - Home Cooking - Chowhound Why do mashed potatoes sometimes get gummy? How long are you supposed to boil the potatoes? I read in a previous post that many folks boil them whol What causes gooy mashed potatoes? - ChefTalk.com - Cooking forums ... Hi, Thought of another question I've always wondered about. I suppose this is so basic you all already know the answer or have talked about it. I couldn't find it... What Are the Best Potatoes for Mashed Potatoes? eHow.com All potatoes contain starch, sugar, water and a few nutrients. In fact, one of the most nutritious parts of a potato is its skin, so you may want to keep it in your ... World's Best Mashed Potatoes Recipe - Food.com - 106401 I attended a Boy Scout pot luck with my son several years ago and was introduced to these heavenly potatoes. The Scout leader was kind enough to share. It is a recipe ...

No comments:

Post a Comment