Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Making the Best Risotto: Do You Really Need to Warm the Broth?

2012-10-11-RisottoBroth.jpegI recently got into debate with a friend over, of all things, how to make risotto. I was taught that warming the broth before adding it to the rice was absolutely crucial for a making an excellent risotto, but my friend said she doesn't bother with this step and gets fine results. When she pressed me to explain why warm broth was important, I realized that I didn't actually know. Point, scored. Research would be required.

I consulted several sources, from my culinary school notes to the recently released tome The Fundamentals Techniques of Classic Italian Cuisine. The best explanation I found is that cooking is improved and proceeds more swiftly if all the risotto ingredients are the same temperature. Essentially, adding cold broth to a hot pan of cooking rice will cool everything down, whereas keeping a constant cooking temperature keeps everything moving along at the right pace.

This answer feels a little unsatisfactory to me. Risotto is usually cooked in a wide pot and the broth is being added in incremental cupsthe relatively small dip in temperature from this relatively small amount of broth spread over the surface of the pot just can't make that huge of a difference. Maybe it does in the precise and demanding environment of a restaurant kitchen, but when we're just making risotto for ourselves in a home kitchen? In this case, I'm inclined to think that warm broth is of less vital importance.

What do you think? How do you make risotto?

Related: How to Make Great Risotto at Home

(Image: Emma Christensen)


Risotto The Pioneer Woman Cooks Ree Drummond The first time I ever tasted Risotto, I was living and working in Los Angeles, which means black pumps only left my feet for ... How can I make risotto like Hell's Kitchen? - Home Cooking - Chowhound I know it takes an hour to make risotto; I've done it several times. But watching Hell's Kitchen, I realize that they churn out bowls of the most deli How to Make Risotto: 7 steps - wikiHow How to Make Risotto. Oysters and chocolate are all well and good for that special Valentine's Day dinner, but on the scale of effort, they fall somewhere ... How to Make Basic Risotto eHow.com Risotto is a creamy Italian rice dish. You can add a multitude of things to this basic recipe to give it your own personal touch. Serves six people as a side dish ... Absolute Best Risotto You Will EVER Eat: Toasted Pistachio ... Immodestly this is the best risotto that I have ever eaten. I have had risotto at Al Soriso and Dal Pescatore (Michelin three stars), Battebecco and italian cuisine - How do cooks prepare risotto in a restaurant ... I'm not looking for a Risotto recipe. I make a pretty nice risotto, thank you very much. But, making a risotto takes about 20 minutes. It seems unreasonable to me ... How to make the perfect risotto Life and style The Guardian I've never really got on with rice. Beneath that innocently bland exterior lurks trouble. It's always boiling over, or boiling dry or, in the case of ... How to Make the Best Risotto - Cook Risotto Recipes Here's How: Place broth in a saucepan over low heat. Adding cold broth to cooking rice will 'shock' the rice and the finished dish will be less creamy. Making Risotto Article - Allrecipes.com Learn how to make perfect risotto. Constant stirring not required! How to Make Risotto Simply Cooking I dont understand why risotto is considered by so many to be an up-scale, complicated dish. When I see a big bowl of creamy, cheesy grains, I think ...

No comments:

Post a Comment