Thursday, October 11, 2012

My Favorite Pizza Topping: Garlicky Kale

Now that the weather has cooled off and it's possible for me to turn on the oven in my apartment without feeling like I'm detoxing in a sauna, I'm ready to get back to a favorite weekly ritual: Friday night pizza. Pizza is by far my favorite food, but I'm a surprisingly simple girl when it comes to how I make it. I don't do a lot of toppings, and I rarely stray from a few key ingredients. (You may say it's boring; I say it's consistent.) And the one main constant for me is kale. Super, super garlicky kale.

Like Emma, I too have an obsession with kale, and in my case, that obsession means it's the main ingredient on my pizza. I usually wash and tear up a full head of lacinato kale (enough to fill up a salad bowl), coat it with olive oil, press two cloves of garlic into it, massage it for a few minutes, and then season with salt and pepper.

It's not hard to make pizza dough as we've shown you this week, but I sometimes take an even easier route and buy Whole Foods' whole grain pizza dough. ($3.00 for a lump of dough, which makes two 12" pizzas. I'm a big fan.) After rolling out the pizza dough, I coat the pizza in a few spoonfuls of pesto, pizza sauce, or olive oil (depending what I have, and the mood I'm in) then load on the kale to practically overflowing. It always looks like a ridiculous amount of kale, but as you probably know, greens cook down so much in heat, so I pile it on knowing it'll reduce in size, brown, and get crispy. Then a light dusting of freshly grated parmesan cheese, or a few pieces of smoked mozzarella. It's a green pizza machine.

The result? A hearty, slightly bitter yet completely satisfying vegetarian pizza, particularly when matched with a salty cheese and lots of garlicky zing.

More Kale Pizza Recipes from The Kitchn
Sausage Pizza, Topped with Crispy Kale
Pizza with Crispy Kale, Butternut Squash, Bacon, and Smoked Mozzarella

(Image: Anjali Prasertong)


Favourite pizza topping combos? - Home Cooking - Chowhound I can go "haute" but I can also go as trailer-park as they come with my favourite pizza topping combinations. What are your faves? Garlic Sauteed Kale and Mushroom Baguette The Flourishing Foodie Sometimes I am truly amazed at how easy it is to throw a few simple ingredients together, and in turn, create something beautiful and inspiring. Hersh's Pizza & Drinks - Federal Hill/Locust Point - Baltimore ... Hersh's Pizza & Drinks, Pizza Place in Federal Hill/Locust Point. See 25 photos, 2 critic reviews and 12 user reviews. Reviews from critics, food blogs and ... The Chew The Blog: My Pizza crust and sauce recipe A cheat post 11 ... It's a cheat day and post for me. My intentions when I started this blog was to make a daily post and cook something that was featured on the show. Best Pizza - Williamsburg - North Side - Brooklyn, NY (718) 599-2210 "In my eyes, so many people in NYC swear by a pizza place that is THE BEST. I think that's like arguing who the greatest New York Yankee ever was ... American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza: Peter Reinhart ... Baking bread is mysterious enough. But creating truly great pizza--the transformation of next to nothing into something extraordinary--is downright alchemical. It is ... The Sunny Raw Kitchen: Simply Raw Snacks I have released four recipe books so far: The Best of the Sunny Raw Kitchen The Best of Raw Freedom Community Delightfully Raw and Deliciously Raw These ... Little b's healthy habits: Clean Pizza! Anyone have one of those swirly circular spinny things on the top of their roof? I think they are supposed to ventilate the attic? Well our swirly circular spinny ... Eddie's Flat Iron Pizza - North Portland - Portland, OR (503) 289-4700 "My husband & I went to Eddie's Flat Iron Pizza last night looking for something tasty and affordable, and we got much more than we bargained for ... Pizzeria Libretto - blogTO Toronto blog Eating pizza is a lot like having sex: great anytime of the day including first thing in the morning; even if it's bad it's still pretty good; and if it's great you ...

No comments:

Post a Comment