Friday, February 1, 2013

My Kitchen Treat: Little Built-In Cabinet

2013_02_01-cabinet2.jpgWhen I first moved into my 1920s rental apartment, I was horrified by the built-in mirrored cabinet above the sink. Wouldn't it be awkward to stare at myself while doing dishes? Yet this little cupboard unexpectedly became the most joyful feature of my kitchen (and it has nothing to do with vanity!).

2013_02_01-cabinet1.jpg

Such cabinets are not uncommon in Los Angeles kitchens of this era and most people I know use them to store spice jars. However, after years and layers of paint, the door doesn't fully close, and I am reluctant to keep spices near the moisture and heat of the sink. Instead, I fill the shelves with small cups and bowls, measuring and straining tools, and some of my favorite implements, like miniature funnels and salt spoons.

Opening the cabinet never fails to delight me. Previously I had a very colorful kitchen, so in contrast I painted this one white. But I love seeing the hidden splash of aqua each time I reach for a measuring spoon or espresso cup. Sometimes I treat myself to a peek inside for no reason other than to enjoy the color, the rows of yogurt pots, and the array of beloved tools.

As for the mirror, it reflects the sunshine so beautifully that I don't mind it. Plus, I was relieved to find that dishwashing is done with one's eyes on the task rather than staring straight ahead, so I'm rarely caught checking myself out!

Related: Unexpected Favorite: Vintage Drying Rack

(Images: Emily Ho)


Built in modern closets, Cabinets & Wall units - Toronto ... Royal Custom Cabinets - Built in modern closets, Entertainment units, Cabinets & Wall units in Toronto, Vaughan, Mississauga, Oakville, Richmond Hill, Vaughan, Burlington Before & After: Upgrading a Builder's Grade Kitchen Little House ... When Kalie and Travis moved into their house a year ago, they knew they had a lot of things to change to make it feel like home. Thrilled to finally have an outlet ... Amazon.com: Sony ICFCDK50 Under Cabinet Kitchen CD Clock Radio ... Time spent in the kitchen just got more enjoyable. This attractive and slim under-cabinet CD clock radio produces rich sound and features a built-in audio cable for ... Kitchen Cabinets & Cupboards - IKEA Choose from a range of well-designed and versatile kitchen cabinets at low prices. Find cupboards in lots of innovative designs, colours and materials. Kitchen Trend - No Upper Cabinets - Willow Decor I was with a client today an we were re-configuring her kitchen. Even though her renovation was done over ten years ago, the kitchen was very well thought out. Walmart.com: Home: Small Kitchen Appliances: Ice Cream and Frozen ... Shop Low Prices on Small Kitchen Appliances: Ice Cream and Frozen Treat Makers My Little Bungalow H ere is another of my very favorite stews. It's fresh, healthy and totally satisfying. Cook up a pot of it and enjoy by the fire or by candlelight with a glass of ... ::Surroundings::: Kitchen Cabinets - Do I want Black or Green? ::Check out the latest at The Skirted Roundtable - CHATTING WITH NATHAN TURNER

No comments:

Post a Comment