Thursday, February 14, 2013

What Do You Do When the One You Love Doesn't Love Food?

What Do You Do When the One You Love Doesn't Love Food?

I have married friends who love finding new restaurants together, who eat their way around exotic travel destinations together, who shop and cook together with a shared passion that is beautiful and inspiring and...totally not what I have with my husband, a man who certainly likes food, but would never make a 30-minute detour for a transcendent bowl of ph when the place down the street is just fine.

Sound familiar? What do you do when the one you love doesn't love food?

In The Paris Review, Sadie Stein recently mused about her relationship with a man who doesn't share her passion for food. It could be worse; he is at least open to trying new things and he likes her cooking.

And yet. A part of me has always fetishized those relationships in which a couple was joined in their pursuit of all things sybaritic. I fantasized about finding someone who would be the Michael to my Jane Stern, so we could, like them, devote our lives to tracking down blue-ribbon pies and oyster shacks. (I cried when I learned that they were divorcing.) I pored over those parts of Julia Childs memoirs devoted to her relationship with the supportive gourmet, Paul. I swooned over cookbook editor Judith Joness tales in The Tenth Muse of cranking out boudin with her husband, Evan, and traveling the French countryside in search of authentic regional cuisine.
Admit it: at some point, you've pictured yourself walking through some romantic, faraway market sniffing perfectly ripe peaches with your love, happily planning the meal you'll cook together later. Even I've done it, knowing full well my husband's irrational hatred of farmers markets.

Here in reality, I share my love of food with him and he shares his love of '80s sci-fi movies with me. There are small inroads Chinese soup dumplings, The Thing but he'll never feel the same excitement I feel for a perfectly ripe peach, especially if it's at a farmers market. But that's okay. In the end, there are more important things in life than food, and he's one of them.

And I'm pretty sure he'd say the same about me and '80s sci-fi movies.

Read the article:The Gift of Hungerin The Paris Review
What do you do if the person you love doesn't love food as much as you do? Does it matter that they don't?

Related:My Food Valentine: Love Letters to Food

(Image:Ana Gram/Shutterstock)

When You've Lost Respect for Your Husband - Jolene Engle @ The ... Did you ever view your husband as your Knight in Shining Armor? A man you once had great respect and honor for? Maybe in the early years of your relationship you ... what the hell _does_ a vegan eat anyway? Breakfast 01/18 Blueberry Muffins Blueberry Muffins the scent wakes me up from sleep magical kitchen Cowboys Hire Monte Kiffin: Do They Have What It Takes To Run Tampa ... There's not much that you can take away from Tony Dungy's storied career as a head coach in the NFL. Dungy helped start this whole Tampa 2 thing that is on it's way ... Do you hear what I hear? Your brain on Christmas music - The Body Odd Shana McGough likes Christmas music, until she hears too much of it. "I think at first Christmas music is nice, it's nostalgic, and it gets me into the holiday spirit ... What do Raw Fooders Eat? :: Discover Exactly What the Successful ... Dear Raw Food Loving Friend: How would you like to visit the homes of 46 busy people who thrive on raw foods, peek inside their private kitchens, and "spy" on them as ... Obama: US will 'do what we must' to stop Iran getting nuclear weapons The president also used the high-profile event to commemorate late Ambassador Christopher Stevens, who was slain with three other Americans when the U.S. consulate in ... What is the Subconscious Mind and How Do You Program it ... The word subconscious is easily broken down. Sub means below and conscious means awareness, so subconscious simply means that which is below your awareness. Richard Scarry's What Do People Do All Day [Hardcover] Richard Scarry is one of the world's best-loved children's authors EVER! His books are always filled with fun, and always filled with fun pictures which children can ...

No comments:

Post a Comment