Wednesday, February 13, 2013

How Can I Satisfy a Chocolate Craving...Without Chocolate? Good Questions

How Can I Satisfy a Chocolate Craving Without Chocolate? Q:I have recently developed a sensitivity to chocolate. It's not a serious allergy, but the symptoms are just bad enough to be seriously annoying. My mother has the same sensitivity and her solution is 'don't eat chocolate.' This is highly logical advice that I am finding near impossible to follow!

I have a selective but serious sweet tooth and real cravings for chocolate that usually end with spoonfuls of Nutella and a sore mouth/throat. Do you have any recipes for snacks/baked goods that would satisfy a chocolate lover without having actual cocoa in them? Maybe something sweet, yet dark and complex? So far my search for chocolate substitute has yielded carob which has less than glowing reviews. Am I doomed to a dull, dreary, chocolate-less life?

Sent byCat

Editor:Cat, other sweet, dark and complex desserts that I enjoy are those that incorporate molasses or coffee, or certain dried fruits, particularly prunes and figs. Here's a recipe for a dark, complex and slightly bitter molasses cake that might satisfy your craving:

Recipe: Dark and Damp Molasses Cake

Readers, do you have any ideas for non-chocolate treats that would satisfy a chocolate craving?

Next question?

Related:5 Non-Chocolate Valentine's Desserts to Tempt Anyone's Sweet Tooth

(Image: Faith Durand)


No comments:

Post a Comment