Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Too Much Granola? Freeze It For Later!

Too Much Granola? Freeze It For Later!

I went on a bit of a granola bender the other week for reasons best left between me and my obsessive brain. The upshot of this, as you can probably guess, was that I ended up with a lotof granola sitting on my counter. After foisting jars of it onto my friends and snacking on it every afternoon, I still had more granola than I could conceivably eat before it went stale. The solution? Freeze it.

I checked in with our resident granola guru, Megan Gordon, and she responded in no uncertain terms, "Yes! Freeze that stuff!"

To freeze granola, just package it in an airtight container with as little empty space as possible. If you have a vacuum sealer, all the better. Freeze it for no longer than three months for best quality, and let it sit out on the counter overnight before using.

Megan said that sometimes dried fruits can get a little hard when frozen and thawed, but other than that, the granola is fine. If you're planning ahead, just wait to toss the granola with the dried fruit until you're ready to eat it.

I love it when there's a simple solution to a problem like this! Knowing that granola freezes well also means we can plan ahead and stash some away for busy weeks, spontaneous weekend trips, and overnight guests.

Any other granola-saving tips to share?

Related: Watch Out! Dangerously Addictive Olive Oil Granola

(Image: Emma Christensen)


Way Too Much Weather Ryan Hanrahan's Blog Ryan Hanrahan's Blog ... Theres no question the weather pattern has been less than exciting over the last few weeks. Homemade Granola: Youve Been Warned - The Kitchen Sink A quick warning: if you think you love cereal that comes from a box on the shelf and if you do not wish to be convinced otherwise, this is not the post for Apple - iPhone 5 - Its so much more. And so much less, too. Its so thin and so light, yet iPhone 5 features a larger display, a faster chip, the latest wireless technology, an 8MP iSight camera, and more. Granola and a Lesson on Living Gluten Free, with Bonus ... Do you hear the heavenly angels singing? One of the things that I have missed since going gluten free is granola. I loved granola. Oats, while they themselves do not ... Homemade Granola Easy Microwave Prep - She provides food for ... How would you like to go to bed and wake up to yummy, crunchy granola for breakfast? This is a breakfast staple that is prepped in five minutes at our house. Crystals Lazy Granola - The Finer Things in Life I was thrilled when Crystal gave me permission to post this yummy homemade granola recipe, originally found on her Biblical Womanhood site. I make a double batch late ... Too Much Information! Breaking News! Celebrities! Headlines! Music, Movies, TV & The Arts! Scandals! Animals! Sports! The Odd & The Off-Beat! Too Much Information! Healthy lunchbox granola bar recipe - this is the winning recipe ... After a trip to the grocery store I renewed my resolution to bake my own healthy granola bars for the girls to bring to school. After a lot of searching I found a ...

No comments:

Post a Comment