Monday, October 8, 2012

Early Pizza Memories: What Were Your Family Pizza Traditions?

100812-pizzacrust.jpg Some of my fondest and earliest memories are of pizza. I grew up in Kansas City, and although that town wasn't known for its pizza, my parent's home was. Kansas City has lots of culinary offers, but pizza isn't one of them, so my parents took it upon themselves to perfect what I now know as my basic pizza recipe.

It wasn't deep dish, but it did have a crust that was a solid two inches thick, piled high with copious amounts of cheese, meats and seasonal vegetables. This was always the go-to meal when any of us needed comforting. It's the one time I'm not afraid to say I ate my feelings happily and heartily. That thing was baked with love, joy and tradition.

At a young age I was given cheese browning duty. My only mission for the next 20-30 minutes was to sit in front of the oven and watch for the cheese to turn that beautiful shade of brown and holler before it got any darker. It was a badge of honor and I'm sure it kept me out from underfoot.

When I left home for the first time, I took very few possessions, but one important thing I did take was a large deep dish pizza pan with a removable bottom, and the family pizza recipe. It's a recipe that to this day my folks don't give out. I know it by heart, and although I make pizza at home differently now, there are very little foods that provide such deep comfort and nostalgia as pizza.

Did your family have any pizza traditions? Share your warm, cheesy memories in the comments below.

Related: Smart Tip: Make Your Own Frozen Pizzas

(Image: Flickr member Dawn Ashley licensed for use by Creative Commons)


Your Comments/Memories : The Bungalows Of Rockaway documentary If you want to add comments and/or memories, please CLICK HERE. 1. My grandmother had a bungalow around Beach 35th street and my parents always talked about how Sid ... Please share your memories Welcome to the memorial website for Ciannon Basher. This is a place for Ciannons friends and family to remember her, and to share memories and thoughts. Twin's Pizza & Family Restaurant - North Providence, RI (401) 726-8978 "This is the best Pizza period. Casertas Pizza always gets the hype. I went there a few weeks ago and it was terrible. Twins Pizza blows it away in ... Pizza Today is the most powerful marketing tool in the pizza industry! A monthly trade magazine catering to the independent pizza operator. 8 Back-to-School Family Traditions - SchoolFamily.com Creating back-to-school memories for your children can be simple or elaborate. The tradition doesnt matter; what does is easing them back with a special memory. AJ's Heavenly Pizza - The JB Network "A blind man once stepped into AJ's Pizza and the clerk states, "Welcome To AJ's Heavenly Pizza!" The mere mention of this name cured the man's blindness. the first ... Pizza Hut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Pizza Hut (corporately known as Pizza Hut, Inc.) is an American restaurant chain and international franchise that offers different styles of pizza along with side ... Columbus Pizza History: A Slice by Slice Account CMH Gourmand Alternate Title: Its Hip to be Square! Pizza freaks know there are many styles of pizza some pizzas have stronger claims to fame than others. A few of the ... OLD FORGE PIZZA my first bite of ferri's red pizza brought back memories of old forge pizza which was located on the main street in old forge next to the borough building in the ... Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com Woman: Spa did this to my face's face scarred after spa visit

No comments:

Post a Comment