Monday, October 15, 2012

Kitchen Before & After: Kathryn's Sonoma Garden Kitchen Makeover Reader Kitchen Remodel

2012-10-15-before4.jpg

When Kitchn reader Kathryn and her husband found the weekend house of their dreams, it was perfect in almost every way. While it did have a huge garden (great for Kathryn's intense gardening obsession), the kitchen was small and outdated. Six months later the couple decided to fix that problem. Here's what they did:

2012-10-15-after2.jpg

In Kathryn's words:

My husband and I bought a weekend property with a large garden in Sonoma last fall so I could exercise my gardening obsession. The goal was to grow a lot of our own food. We had hoped to find a home with an expansive open plan kitchen but no luck. We did find a property that was perfect in every way (especially the garden) except it had an outdated, galley kitchen with a location that made it impossible to even hope for a large space. After living in it for six months, I couldn't wait any longer and we took the plunge to gut it. We saved on cabinets by using IKEA (we have a 12 year old IKEA kitchen in the city and it still looks great) so we could splurge on appliances and fittings. I finally have the stove of my dreams and love canning and cooking on it every chance I get. Since there isn't much room for storage (I wanted few upper cabinets to keep the tight space open) so we just renovated a nearby laundry room to accommodate all the canned veggies and fruits from the garden. The garden has 16 raised beds and 14 fruit trees, enough to keep me busy in the kitchen and garden every weekend!
Read More: Read more about Kathryn's gardening adventures at her blog: Weekend Edible

How fun is that red stove? We love the new look.

Thanks, Kathryn!

Related: Kitchen Before & After: An Outdated Condo Kitchen Goes Glam


Interior Home Design Decorating Free Blogger Templates by TheBlogTemplates.com and WebHostingMen.com Homestead Revival: Simple & Beautiful Kitchen and Pantry Organization Form or function? Must one really choose? I love both and I don't see why one can't have both. Personally, I find the simple things can often be beautiful ... Stillwater Story I was recently asked to design a new space for a client that had a combo living room/home office/guest bedroom. She already had beautiful curtains (in a safari print ... Diy wood pallet painted sign, painted kitchen cabinets and a diy ... Hi there! This weeks Newbie party with a twist was Awesome. Today, I would like to share a diy wood pallet painted sign, a diy pallet desk, and diy painted kitchen ... Diy no sew burlap kitchen valancesmade from Coffee bags ... Diy no sew coffee bag valances. ... Hey there! Dont know how it is in your neck of the woods, but here in the Carolinas I believe it hit 103 degrees today. Stillwater Story: How to Stain Butcher Block Countertops Happy Summer, everyone! (School ends for me this week, so I'm in official summer-mode, whether or not it's June 21st!) Mr. C and I finished up our ... 40 Must-Haves for the Kitchen: A Gift Guide for Cooks Those who love to cook can't ever have too many kitchen gadgets and accessories, so we've been working hard to find the most stylish gifts for those who love to spend ... ::Surroundings::: Kitchen Cabinets - Do I want Black or Green? ::Check out the latest at The Skirted Roundtable - CHATTING WITH ALEXA HAMPTON 13 amazing homes with a view - MSN Real Estate Browse homes with breathtaking views through floor-to-ceiling windows and walls of glass. Centsational Girl Blog Archive New Lamp Love I'm a simple gal with a simple dream: transforming the drab into the fab with an arsenal of paintbrushes, primer and power tools. I completely reject the notion that ...

No comments:

Post a Comment