Monday, October 15, 2012

Pantry Essentials: Store-Bought Beef, Chicken & Vegetable Stock Ingredient Spotlight

2012-10-15-ChickenBroth-1.jpgWhen I can, I make my own stock. But when I can't, I buy containers of beef, chicken, and vegetable stock at the store. That's life! Do you cook with store-bought stock? Have a favorite brand?

For liquid stock, I've found that I really like the flavor of Pacific Natural Foods Organic Chicken Broth, though I sometimes sub this out for Trader Joe's version depending on where I'm shopping. I go for the low-sodium option as I like to add my own salt to taste.

I also keep a jar of Penzeys Chicken Soup Base in the fridge. This is essentially chicken bouillon and I like it for recipes that call for a small amounts of chicken stock (thus avoiding the need to open an entire quart-sized container). It's also nice for adding depth to quick-cooking chicken dishes.

In general, I have to say that I think store-bought stocks are pretty darn tasty. They don't have the complexity, richness, and soul as a homemade stock, of course, but they work well as a base for soups and other dishes. If I think a soup needs more depth, I often add a splash of soy sauce or a few parmesan cheese rinds to the simmering soup. Using really fresh herbs and spices also makes a world of difference. (Check out more of my flavor-boosting tips below.)

Your turn! What kind of store-bought stock to you keep in your cupboard?

More on Stocks:

How to Make Chicken Stock
How to Make Vegetable Stock
Kitchen Shortcuts: Ways to Improve Store-Bought Broth
What Is the Best Brand of Store-Bought Broth?

Related: 20 Broth-Based Soups to Nourish and Satisfy

(Image: Emma Christensen)


My Food Addiction: Beef Brasciole Brasciole is an Italian dish. Basically it's stuffed steak, rolled, browned then cooked in tomato sauce. There are many different stuffings for Brasciole...I choose ... BrokeAss Gourmet, The premier food, wine and lifestyle blog for ... BrokeAss Gourmet is the premier food, wine and lifestyle blog for people who want to live the high life on the cheap. BrokeAss Gourmet features daily recipes modeled ... Simple Quick Desserts Delicious Dessert Recipes With Pictures Whats a quick fun dessert I can make for our girls night? We already have chocolate fondue so no more chocolatebut whats a fun, simple dessert/finger food idea ... Food & Drink - How To Information eHow.com Food & Drink: Don't let that next party be a flop. Be the envy of your friends thanks to eHow's entertaining secrets sure to make that next affair a success. Food is ... Easy Recipes For Dinner Delicious Dessert Recipes With Pictures HOME COOKING: Easy Recipes for Fantastic Family Meals Or A Romantic Dinner For Two Mexican Shake & Bake Chicken Italian Fried Chicken & more The Test Kitchen of Melissa Fallis: Freezer Cooking- Slow Cooker ... Fall is SUPER BUSY for me at work... and I typically get home late and don't have time to cook (Okay I'll admit it.. I don't FEEL like cooking! Archives Mark's Daily Apple Archived Posts and Past Articles from Mark's Daily Apple. A treasure trove of health, nutrition and fitness information. The Food Timeline: popular American decade foods, menus, products ... Popular American decade foods, menus, products & party planning tips Quick Dinner Ideas - How To Information eHow.com Don't just sit there scratching your head, find useful info on Quick Dinner Ideas on eHow. Get essential tips and learn more about everything from Meal Ideas for ... Ganbaru Cook! From a man obsessed with food and cooking, a blog about recipe results from various magazines, newspapers, websites, TV shows, and cookbooks. "Ganbaru" is the ...

No comments:

Post a Comment