Sunday, October 14, 2012

Today I Belong to the Tortilla Weekend Meditation

2012_10_14-belonging.jpgOne of the more pleasurable things about cooking is that it expresses our belonging: where we have been, where we are now, who and what we hold allegiance to, what season it is, what time of day it is, what kind of life we've built for ourselves. What we choose to eat, and how, and where and with whom. And why. Of course, not all of this is always in our control, but that too is an expression of our lives, what we value, and what's shaping us.

I sometimes find it interesting to take a look at my life from the question 'What do I belong to?' This is slightly different question than my usual 'Who am I?' or 'What do I want?' This is the sideways approach and sometimes it can reveal what I've been hiding from myself, especially if I don't like the answer ('Oh no, I belong to this vending machine candy bar!') Sometimes the answer startles, sometimes it comforts; it can assure or bother or nag or delight. The question flips the usual position of asserting control (what belongs to me) and instead explores what defines me, what I've let in, what I've said yes to.

Here's my answer for right now: Today, so far, I belong to the tortilla, and to three cups of strong, milky tea. I belong to the bowl full of figs picked from the tree outside my front door and the ambitions of my fig chutney project that's taking up my afternoon. I belong to the cool, rainy day that is keeping me indoors and near a lit stove, and I belong to October and its deep-fall weather and harvests of squash and apples and Brussels sprouts (and figs).

I look at my refrigerator door and what I've chosen to post there: A chart of the moon cycles, a shiny wrapper from a British sweet, a bag from my landlady's shop in Berkeley, a flier from an organic farm, a drawing of a canning jar that says East Bay. All this speaks of where and what and to whom I belong. What holds me and shapes me, what I've allowed in and what's come crashing through. What I want to be reminded of, what I want reinforced and echoed and encouraged. What I belong to.

What do you belong to right now?

Related: Weekend Meditation: Harvest

(Image: Dana Velden)


Providence Journal Rhode Island news, sports, weather & more ... At his sentencing today in the child sexual abuse scandal that brought shame to Penn State and led to coach Joe Paterno's downfall, a defiant Jerry Sandusky gave a ... Yes And vs Yes But (Added 5 October 2012) The written ... Yes And vs Yes But (Added 5 October 2012) The written word has often been the way spiritual messages have been received during my Life. Spiral Visions Blog Three certified teachers of the Transcendental Meditation Technique TM, Anne Dietrich, Pushpagandhi Nayagar, and Olivia Lopez greeted me warmly at the door as I ... Live365 Internet Radio Network - Listen to Free Music, Online Radio Listen to thousands of internet radio stations featuring online music in every style, including hip hop, jazz, new age, rock, classical, oldies, and more. Does Burning Man Belong to Everyone? John Law Open source/public domain. Burning Man belongs to everyone. Burning Man is the sum of the efforts of the tens of thousands of people who have contributed to making ... Prince Harry Nude Pics Surface From Las Vegas Trip (NSFW PHOTOS) Prince Harry's wild weekend in Las Vegas was a little wilder than everyone thought. The prince hit up several exclusive pool parties over the weekend (with ... Apple - Start Apple hot news, launches, apple events, movie trailers and iTunes this week. Meditation Power - Part 60 Release the power of your subconscious mind ... Mantra For Success And Prosperity With the pressures of the economy stressing out many people, many Kundalini yoga ... Arts - Salon.com Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 2:00 PM UTC Art doesnt pay The creative class, of which I am a proud and bewildered member, appears to be going bankrupt. DO U FEEL LIKE U DON'T BELONG ON THIS PLANET?...WELL MAYBE YOU ARENT WARNING: the content of this post may disturb a lot of skeptic people and provoke negative reactions. So to all of you who don't believe in the existence of extra ...

No comments:

Post a Comment